Should Format Take This Long?

Hey all. Getting closer. Thanks for all the help thus far.

So I pre-cleared my disks, set a parity drive and started to format... the guide says it should only take a few minutes... but I'm seeing this:

Started

Parity-Sync in progress.

WARNING: canceling Parity-Sync will leave the array unprotected!

Total size: 1,953,514,552 KB

Current position: 151,729,240 (7.7%)

Estimated speed: 29,220 KB/sec

Estimated finish: 1027.6 minutes

There's no data on the drive at the moment. Should it take that long to sync and format? Just curious if it's normal.

Thanks.

yes and no...

The format is complete, it is calculating parity now.

it would be 2-3 times faster if you had newer hardware.

As I recall, you have some older hardware and IDE drives on PCI cards.

As it finishes up the smaller, slower drives, the speed will pick up.

(IE. if your IDE drive is 120Gig. at 121gig it will speed up and so on for each drive)

I don't think it will really take 17 hours. and if it does, at least you know the data is protected when it's done.

MOBO - ASUS P4P800-E (http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_478/P4P800E_Deluxe/)

CASE - Coolermaster Centurion 5 (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=21)

PROCESSOR - Honestly can't remember off the top of my head. Was not dual-core. 3.06Ghz. Intel (obviously)

RAM - 2GB Kingston

HARD DRIVES - 2x2TB WD Caviar Green 1x1.5TB WD Caviar Green (One WDC_WD20EARS and one WDC_WD20EADS [32MB vs 64MB cache]).

It has a 300GB Samsung in there, but I haven't assigned it as I think I'll just rip it out and put in a 1.5TB that I have in my main HTPC after I move the data over from it to the unRAID system.

Both drives are on the southbridge connection (not the RAID) and are SATA1.

EDIT: Totally off-topic, but does a cache drive count towards the drive limit of the free version? I'm planning to upgrade sometime in november/december.

EDIT: Totally off-topic, but does a cache drive count towards the drive limit of the free version? I'm planning to upgrade sometime in november/december.

Free version does not have the cache drive option as i recall.

i cant tell, it looks like your sata controller is on the PCI bus on the mobo, it will be slowish.

Free version does not have the cache drive option as i recall.

Well then, that takes care of that. :P

i cant tell, it looks like your sata controller is on the PCI bus on the mobo, it will be slowish.

Would I be better off moving them over to the Promise 20378 RAID controller? If so, is that difficult to do (configuration wise, not physically)?

Archived