Moving system files from array to cache

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello,

Trying to move docker and libvirt folder from disk1 to cache. When trying to move it I get this information in syslog. Will it be safe for me to delete the files in disk1? I was getting notification of high utilization in docker.img while using plex

Jul 30 17:03:49 Tower  move: file: /mnt/disk1/system/docker/docker.img
Jul 30 17:03:49 Tower  move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/system/docker/docker.img File exists
Jul 30 17:03:49 Tower  move: file: /mnt/disk1/system/libvirt/libvirt.img
Jul 30 17:03:49 Tower  move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/system/libvirt/libvirt.img File exists
Jul 30 17:03:49 Tower root: mover: finished

Thank you in advance for the assistance

• Solution

You have to decide which one is the most current (probably the one on the cache, and then you can delete the other one.

Note that the high utilization of docker.img is unrelated to this issue - it tends to mean that the way you have plex configured it is writing to a location internal to the docker.img file rather than to an external mapped location.

Just now, itimpi said:

You have to decide which one is the most current (probably the one on the cache, and then you can delete the other one.

Note that the high utilization of docker.img is unrelated to this issue - it tends to mean that the way you have plex configured it is writing to a location internal to the docker.img file rather than to an external mapped location.

Thank you for your reply. Apologies but I'm very new with this. Can you guide me where I should change this? What exactly am I looking for that I need to change? thanks

3 minutes ago, youngvader said:

Thank you for your reply. Apologies but I'm very new with this. Can you guide me where I should change this? What exactly am I looking for that I need to change?

You are looking for a docker container that is growing in size as it runs.   Probably the commonest is Plex transcoding to a location that is internal to its container, whereas ideally that location should be mapped to an external location on the Unraid host.

The Container Size button on the Docker tab can help with this.

5 minutes ago, youngvader said:

Trying to delete the system folder in disk1 using Krusader does not work? anything I should change to allow me to delete it? Thanks

There may be a permissions issue, or it may be the one that docker is currently using.

I would try the Dynamix File Manager plugin in preference to Krusader as that would not be affected by a permissions issue.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

There may be a permissions issue, or it may be the one that docker is currently using.

I would try the Dynamix File Manager plugin in preference to Krusader as that would not be affected by a permissions issue.

I was able to delete it but turning off all dockers and then using MC instead of Krusader. Thanks for the help. As for your previous message on plex transcoding that it is very likely to be the case because I am not familiar with the location internal/external and I have not changed anything from initial setup. I will look at previous post in this forum for a tutorial on how to do this. 

Thanks for the help

17 minutes ago, youngvader said:

Hi again, 

I got the docker utilization warning again but looking at the container size nothing is getting larger. 

1489618010_CleanShot2023-07-30at18_43.27@2x.thumb.png.3c88cae6c20625a11141e06da3644613.png

I'm reading up now on setting up transcode folder which I probably don't have. That is most probably why I'm getting the warning

14 minutes ago, youngvader said:

I'm reading up now on setting up transcode folder which I probably don't have. That is most probably why I'm getting the warning

if you have lots of rame then you probably want it mapped to a RAM location on Unraid (e.g. /tmp/plex), and otherwise to a SSD pool.