New server build ( Thoughts and input needed )

Bamabo

Hey, im looking to build a new server and have come up with this.

Case: Silverstone CS380 ( already have )
Motherboard: ASRock EPYCD8
CPU: AMD epyc 7532
Mem: CT32G4LFD424A.36FB1 32GB x8 LRDIMM
Storage: 8TB 8x 3.5" & M2 SSD 1TB & 2x SSD 1TB
GPU: Quadro K2000 & Quadro K600 ( already have both GPUs )

M2 SSD will be for appdata + vms and 1x 1TB will be for blueiris and the other for array cache

Server will be used with unraid for plex (1x GPU) + VM with blueiris (1x GPU) + nextcloud AIO + a few more dockers.

Any thoughts or inputs about the spec?
Or do you see any potential issues?

On 8/4/2023 at 7:14 PM, OrneryTaurus said:

The only thing I foresee a problem with is heat dispersion. I also noticed you didn't list a cooler for your CPU, which one are you planning on going with?

Having looked at it yet, do you have any tips or thoughts on it?

i know the case is quite small and will be lots of stuff in but im considering to go all Noctua fans with NH-U14S TR4-SP3 CPU fan.

On 8/8/2023 at 1:49 AM, Bamabo said:

i know the case is quite small and will be lots of stuff in but im considering to go all Noctua fans with NH-U14S

That case has a maximum cooler height of 146mm.  I have the same case.  Ultimately, I settled on the Noctua NH-D12L as it was the biggest cooler I could fit in the case.  Nothing with a 140mm fan (unless it is a C-style cooler) will fit in the CS380.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:42 AM, Hoopster said:

That case has a maximum cooler height of 146mm.  I have the same case.  Ultimately, I settled on the Noctua NH-D12L as it was the biggest cooler I could fit in the case.  Nothing with a 140mm fan (unless it is a C-style cooler) will fit in the CS380.

Hmm maybe i should use my good ol' Fractal design Define R6 ..? for more space for the CPU cooler?

9 hours ago, Bamabo said:

Hmm maybe i should use my good ol' Fractal design Define R6 ..? for more space for the CPU cooler?

Perhaps.  I have no idea what the cooling requirements are on the EPYC CPUs.  I do know there is a 146mm height limit on the CPU cooler in the Silverstone CS380 case.

Here is the Noctua cooler compatibility list for the EPYC 7532 (it is very limited):

Edited by Hoopster
On 8/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, Hoopster said:

Perhaps.  I have no idea what the cooling requirements are on the EPYC CPUs.  I do know there is a 146mm height limit on the CPU cooler in the Silverstone CS380 case.

Here is the Noctua cooler compatibility list for the EPYC 7532 (it is very limited):

Or maybe swap out the motherboard for
"Supermicro H11DSI dual-socket motherboard AMD EPYC server motherboard REV2.0"
since it has 2x cpu slots, more memory slots while still having 1x m2 slot and 5 PCIE slots.. And even come out cheaper than the ASRock so having hard time seeing the "down side"

And ofc buy a Fractal design 7 XL?

You recon it would give me a lot of room to expand and not having to "upgrade" server for a few more years?

Trying to build a good server that i can still have even tho the parts are getting outdated..