Cannot connect to smb share over Wireguard VPN

I am helping my father who does not live with me with some remote tech support. I need him to be able to access a SMB share on my UNRAID server.

Our subnets are the same, so I need to connect via the server's wireguard network IP instead of its local IP. I connected his (Mac) laptop via Wireguard. I can access the UNRAID admin page, but when I try and connect via SMB it says there was an error connecting to the server. 

I think this may have to do with the fact that SMB is not listening on the wireguard network. As discussed, I cannot use the local IP even though remote access to LAN is setup because of the fact that both my and my parents subnets are the same (192.168.1.0/24). Is there a way to listen for SMB connections over the wireguard interface>

Edited by 54lzy
34 minutes ago, 54lzy said:

I am helping my father who does not live with me with some remote tech support. I need him to be able to access a SMB share on my UNRAID server. I connected his (Mac) laptop via Wireguard. I can access the UNRAID admin page, but when I try and connect via SMB it says there was an error connecting to the server. 

Has anyone encountered this issue and have a solution? Do I need to whitelist being able to access SMB via wireguard or something?

I think this may have to do with the fact that SMB is not listening on the wireguard network. My fathers router IPs are same as mine so I am trying to connect using the Unraid servers wireguard IP and not the unraid servers regular IP. If this is the issue how can I resolve?

you can definitely access SMB shares via WireGuard - I do it all the time.

I have, however, configured my router to not use the default subnet so that I am almost certainly on a different subnet when I try and connect remotely.    Not sure if this explains why I do not have problems as I would have thought using the server WireGuard ip address should work.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, stanek7110 said:

Im having a similar issue. I can connect to the vpn and when i ping an IP on my home network it works. But when i try to add the network drive to my remote laptop. it gives me this error

Screenshot 2023-08-24 173418.png

I fixed my issue. I was trying to map network drive instead of adding a network location 🤦‍♂️