Parity upgrade problem (I messed up a bit)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Dear all,

unfortunately I didn't read the manual exactly ( https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management#upgrading-parity-disks ) and so my parity upgrade went wrong. What I did so far:

Old config was parity (18TB sdb) with 2x 18 TB data disks (sdc, sdd). Then I added the sde with 20 TB as parity 2 and let it build. I think that was my mistake as I should have assign it to parity 1 and removing the old sbd drive in one step.

My goal would be to have the 20 TB as parity (1) and the old parity drive (sdb) as a new data drive.

I already have populated the data disks, so I dont want to mess up the next step ;-)

I read that I have to use "new config" to get to the goal, but is there an more easy way? (e.g. disabling both parity drives and then assign sde to parity 1 which will rebuild then? The possible data loss while generating the parity is ok for me).

Sorry if this was already asked, I just don't want to make a mistake again.

Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.png.570231b6e241b3678eb99d7669467e85.png

• Solution
9 minutes ago, zippy1337 said:

I read that I have to use "new config" to get to the goal, but is there an more easy way? (e.g. disabling both parity drives and then assign sde to parity 1 which will rebuild then?

Either one will work, you can just unassign both parity drives, start array, stop array, then assign new 20TB disk as parity and start array to re-sync, once that's done you can add old parity as a new data drive.