Mirror existing cache drive or split contents

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hello,

I have been running Unraid for years and never had a cache drive, I know, I know....LOL. I didn't realize what I was missing.

I have added an NVMe 512gb cache drive and moved my dockers and downloads folder onto it, and wow, what a difference. I now have another NVMe drive that is the exact same one as the first. Should I mirror that existing drive for redundancy or create another cache pool (with 1 drive in each) and split the downloads folder and docker up? Almost feels like a waste to have a 20gb docker image file on a 512gb drive that will probably never grow, but I will take the advice of someone else.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by scottw
  • Solution

My personal preference is to set it up as another pool, and divide the workload however makes the most sense in your specific scenario. Whatever setup you finally choose, be sure to keep a backup routine going, just because you have a redundant device doesn't mean backups aren't needed. Appdata backup to an array disk is a good start.