How screwed am I?

dallus

I shut down to install more memory and rebooted to discover this. Unraid can’t find parity and a data disk. I’ve tried multiple combinations of power and data cables with no luck.

is my data toast? If I got one of the drives recovered, can I convince unraid to use it as a parity or data disk?

As usual, I didn’t have an adequate backup implemented yet, so there’s no buying a new HDD and pulling it down from there. If the data recovery route will work, it’ll be an expensive lesson that could have been avoided with backblaze. Live and learn….

IMG_1022.jpeg

Edited by dallus

Those drives may be the type that won't spin up if they have 3.3V applied on the SATA power cable, did you by any chance change how the power to the drives was routed? 4pin to SATA power adapters will allow the drives to work, regular SATA power may not unless the pins are masked off.

This may NOT be the issue, just a possibility since they don't show in BIOS.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Those drives may be the type that won't spin up if they have 3.3V applied on the SATA power cable, did you by any chance change how the power to the drives was routed? 4pin to SATA power adapters will allow the drives to work, regular SATA power may not unless the pins are masked off.

This may NOT be the issue, just a possibility since they don't show in BIOS.

YOU DA MAN! Looks like I'm going to have to use splitters after all. Thanks for the help!

Could it be because these drives were shucked? I have a retail Red Plus that runs just fine off the PSU's SATA cables.

Tossed a little somethin' your way. Have a coldie on me.

2023-08-18 20_14_09-TooneTown_Main — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

I'm setting up Backblaze B2 right now. This was too close for comfort, even if it was user error.

Edited by dallus