When to Switch from Synology QNAP to UnRAID? The UnRAID Tipping Point [NASCompares]

peterg23

11 hours ago, peterg23 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk2m_jgVZtw

Robbie-And-Ed.jpg

Robbie from NASCompares and Ed from SpaceInvader1 discuss the Unraid tipping point.

Very much surprised to hear of Spaceinvader's recommendations for a cheap Unraid starter system and other hardware-related comments.

He recommends an AMD based system, requiring a discrete GPU.

Talks about CPU passmark numbers as if they're of particular importance in a basic NAS.

Claims the Ryzen's overall CPU energy efficiency (only valid under load) while ignoring the Celeron's (and Intel's in general) superior efficiency at idle - the NAS's main running mode. Then talks about his AMD server with discrete cards using only 86 Watts at idle as if it is a really low number for an efficient home NAS.

Recommends a junky hot-swap case as a good starter unit (Inwin IW-MS04-01) that cooks HDDs (Amazon reviews) without any mention of non-hot swap options that would likely keep HDDs cooler.

Also made some confusing comments regarding PSU wattage selection for maximum efficiency.

Is SpaceinvaderOne anti-Intel?

How else can you explain him Ignoring Intel CPUs along with their super-efficient built-in iGPUs as a go-to option for anyone building a starter NAS?

Edited by Lolight
6 hours ago, peterg23 said:

Ed said in the video above that he is now running Unraid on his new Intel i5-13600.

Did he?

I got an impression he was only considering building a new Intel system that would allow him to save on energy costs by getting rid of the power consuming GPU and HBA cards while retaining similar to then current AMD system functionality - during that time he was running 3 discrete GPUs and an HBA card in his AMD system.

At the time he's already purchased an Intel motherboard bun not a CPU.

Since then I haven't seen any related review videos posted - he's mentioned of his intention at the end of the video.

I remember seeing that video and back then it was the usual Spaceinvader - no nonsense, clear and concise.

Which makes his comments in the latest video very strange in comparison, at least in regards of the system platform recommendation.

OK, he did, all the way towards the end of the video.

Yet, he's chosen not to even mention Intel and QuickSync while discussing affordable starter systems in the beginning.

He could make it very simple for viewers to follow by presenting a few variations of the most popular and pretty affordable hardware for various tastes.

Starting with cheaper, later gens Intel i3 CPUs (or i5s if desired) with Quiksynk and bundling them with most popular NAS cases, sorted by capacity and HDD mount varieties:

Non hot-swappable:

6 disk - Fractal Node 304

8 disk - Fractal Node 804

14 (18) disk - Fractal's Define 7 (XL), Meshify 2 (XL)

Hot-Swappable:

5 disk - Jonsbo N2

8 disk - Jonsbo N3

And only after speaking of those maybe mention rack-mounted cases.

Besides, why to even bring them up? How many of initial turn-key users would ever want to look at rack mounted hardware if decided to switch over?

Judging by some of the comments posted below the video on YouTube, some of the viewers are still left confused about benefits of a self-built Unraid system over popular turn-keys. Some have even questioned if Plex could be set on Unraid.

But wasn't it the sole purpose of the video, as in clearly spelling out of when and why one should consider switching to Unraid?

IMO it was a lost opportunity on the Spaceinvader's part as he looked unprepared.

I'd say that it also looked to me as he hasn't done enough of research on the most popular NAS hardware and failed to clearly spell out Unraid's software benefits.

Before hand, he should've gotten a clear understanding on the subject of component efficiency, PSUs in particular, since it has become such a popular subject due to rising electricity costs.

I know, it sounds quite ridiculous to criticize Spaceinvader, but IMO a figure of his reputation which is universally admired in the Unraid community could do a much more effective job at spreading the Unraid message on popular NAS channels by improving his understanding of related hardware.

I hope he reads this thread and makes adjustments.

What do you guys think?

Is my criticism being un-grounded?

Edited by Lolight