External Access to app on Starlink router

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Unraid, been using for about 6 weeks now but I am hooked!

I'm mainly running as a media server, plex, *arr's, etc. and all works reasonably well. Trying to expand into Nextcloud now and running into some challenges. I've been following SpaceInvader One's more recent guide on this and all fine until I try to access externally using my domain. I've tried with some other app's as well and never manage to get the extra access piece, such as Overseerr. 

So bit of a background on my setup.

I'm using Starlink as my ISP, which is causing issues with Port Forwarding. My internal Wifi is driven my Eero 6+. I've open the various ports in the Eero app but not sure if it actually does anything. I know the CGNAT issues with Starlink and port forwarding, so bought a PureVPN subscription with dedicated port forwarding. I've managed to get a few apps to work with this, binhex-privoxyvpn being the latest, if I check logs I can see its connected to the dedicated IP from PureVPN.

But now I am stumped on how to go next. Has anyone had similar experiences? To use Nextcloud as an explain, my comparison apps are duckdns & swag. Should I be routing all through binhex-privoxyvpn, turning off network and adding the --net=container command in extra parameters? 

Just on PureVPN, I've tried opening all ports in the web UI to test and no luck. 

Would love any suggestions and happy to add any more details that might be useful. 

Thanks in advance! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have not used starlink, but it seems like it is just a modem and your EERO 6+ is a wifi router; if i understand correctly.   This may not help, but may get the wheels turning.

I have a domain name as well and I use cloudflare for DNS services.  On my unraid machine, i have nginx proxy manager running for reverse proxy and that gets forwarded to the correct containers.  Example:  cloudflare DNS has 123.org (proxy turned on) as my domain from another site, which points to my IP from Starlink.  from there, I log into eero and port forward 443 to nginx proxy manager; which is a container on unraid.  On nginx proxy man, i set up a proxy domain 123.org and tell it to forward that traffic to next cloud container ip with port 80 and select my SSL cert i set up using my crt and key from cloudflare.  Side note, this established a secure connection between cloudflare and your proxy man. 

I also have a cloudflare ddns container running to update cloudflare with my IP address so i do not have to manually do it. 

Remember this though, VPN like openvpn is a tunneling service to resources on your network; such as remote desktop a router file share, etc.  Cloudflare is an HTTP/S service for poxy.  Good thing for you is that nextcloud states it supports nginx proxy man. 

Another note for cloudflare, rather than using 123.org, just create CNAMEs like plex.123.org and cloud.123.org and the targets are 123.org.  then on nginx proxy man, just add the sub domains and point them to the containers ip.  AGAIN OPEN PORT 80 AND 443 on your router and point the ip to nginx proxy man. 

On 8/24/2023 at 4:53 PM, johnrochie said:

so bought a PureVPN subscription

That's not going to work. You need to stand up a tunnel that will route incoming requests thru the tunnel to your LAN, that means you need a VPN server 'in the cloud' that's not behind CGNAT. Most people use a VPS provider like Linode or AWS, chuck Wireguard or Tailscale on it and call it a day. Google is your friend here, but if you don't know what you don't know, it can bite you in the ass