VM/libvirt service fails to start

I have a problem with my VM setup. Every now and then, my previously working VM fails to start. When I try to solve the issue with a restart of libvirt via the VM Manager, libvirt fails to start. Once I fully reboot the server, everything works fine until a few days later, the problem reoccurs. How can I solve that issue? I attached two diagnostics: one before I tried to restart libvirt and the other one just after it in case some log gets overwritten.

I noticed these issues in the libvirt log:

virNetSocketReadWire:1791 : End of file while reading data: Input/output error

this appears every 10 minutes

qemuDomainGetBlockInfo:11099 : invalid argument: invalid path Endeavouros_Cassini_Nova-03-2023_R2.iso not assigned to domain

this appears every now and then and is related to a VM that I never started. I will remove the VM and see if that changes anything

warning : qemuDomainObjBeginJobInternal:858 : Cannot start job (query, none, none) in API remoteDispatchDomainGetBlockInfo for domain Windows 11; current job is (modify, none, none) owned by (15916 remoteDispatchDomainAttachDevice, 0 <null>, 0 <null> (flags=0x0)) for (1777s, 0s, 0s)
error : qemuDomainObjBeginJobInternal:893 : Timed out during operation: cannot acquire state change lock (held by monitor=remoteDispatchDomainAttachDevice)

this is probably the most relevant section because it is related to the VM I am trying to start.

error : qemuMonitorIORead:423 : Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer

and this is the first line in the libvirt log after I tried to restart the libvirt service. The VMs Tab reads 'Libvirt Service failed to start.'

I will now restart the server and hope for somebody to help me :)

unraid-server-diagnostics-20230829-0859.zip unraid-server-diagnostics-20230829-0920.zip

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, gilladur said:

Hi Tuetenk0pp,

where you actually able to fix the issue. I'm running currently into the same issues with my Win 10 VM.
My Home assistant VM is not affected.

Actually not, BUT: Since the measured Powerdraw from the wall was lower with the VM on than off, I leave it running all the time. And I never had the issue again. Obviously, this does not work if you use the same HW in different VMs and you need to switch them on and off. 

• Like 1