Lose access to my share when i use NordVPN

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda new to the world of home servers. I figured it out on how to set everything and I was even able to set my very first docker such as Plex. But the thing is.. I can't access my share while i'm logged into NordVPN. I searched many solutions across this and multiple other forums. But i wasn't able to fix it. 

Basically, everytime i start NordVPN, i can't access my share. The only time i'm able to is when NordVPN is shutdown. I also have written to NordVPN support but it seems they can't figure it out either.

If you have any advice or solution i'll take it.. because this drive me crazy.

I've no experience of NordVPN specifically but with Mullvad there is a setting that allows network communication outside the tunnel to local multicast and broadcast range as well as to and from these private IP ranges: 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16, 169.254.0.0/16, 0xfe80::/10 and 0xfc00::/7

I was only able to access my local network generally and SMB shares once I had selected this option in the Mullvad settings. Possibly there's a way for you to 'white list' the above?

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not sure what the problem is, but I have NordVPN installed on my Windows systems and it does not stop me accessing the server when I am at home (and I have default settings). 

What are you running NordVPN on?  

My main computer. I'm not talking about the webui. I'm talking about the share through windows network.

3 hours ago, awediohead said:

I've no experience of NordVPN specifically but with Mullvad there is a setting that allows network communication outside the tunnel to local multicast and broadcast range as well as to and from these private IP ranges: 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16, 169.254.0.0/16, 0xfe80::/10 and 0xfc00::/7

I was only able to access my local network generally and SMB shares once I had selected this option in the Mullvad settings. Possibly there's a way for you to 'white list' the above?

I tried with the whitelist solution from NordVPN but since there is no docker... i can't access it. When i enter the command it's says that NordVPN doesn't existe

7 hours ago, iNSOMNIAKQc said:

My main computer. I'm not talking about the webui. I'm talking about the share through windows network.

I was not talking about the webui.   With NordVPN client active on my Windows machines I can access anything else on the local LAN such as other PCs, the Unraid Shares, the UnRAID GUI, Raspberry Pi's etc.   Have you made sure that the LAN on your Windows machine is set to be a private network and not a public one?