Dynamic CPU Isolation

jch

The desired behavior I'm looking for is to be able to isolate (as much as possible) host processes from a VM's cores dynamically. I'm aware of the `isolcpu` boot setting, but that's too rigid really doesn't play nicely with Docker containers. 

I've come across https://github.com/spheenik/vfio-isolate/tree/master which looks promising, but unfortunately doesn't quite seem to work. My understanding of cgroup is quite weak.

However, I've done some testing and it seems like `taskset -pc <CPUSET> <PID>` accomplishes what I'm looking for (i.e. it will schedule running tasks onto specific cores). I can fairly easily write a script that loops through all running processes and applies the correct cpuset isolation BUT I'm not familiar with how to ensure that _new_ processes are scheduled only on a specific cpuset for the duration of the VM's lifetime. It seems like cgroup is the right direction though, but the directory structure in unRAID's /sys/fs/cgroup/... doesn't seem to match what vfio-isolate is working for.

Does anybody know how to ensure that new processes are assigned to specific CPU cores by changing the "default" setup in /sys/fs/cgroup?

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...