Single core CPU usage

Hello everyone,

So i have some questions that perhaps people could help me understand.  I would like to know the following:  If buying a cpu that has a high single core performance (lets say newer generation) that has p cores and e cores, does that mean each p core separately is amazing; for instance if i assign 1 p core for a vm and another p core for a minecraft game?  Now lets say i have an older cpu (such as an intel core i7 6950x) that does not have p cores, does each core still peak separately from each other or does that cpu need those cores together?  

my daughter has the following:

v3v2qs-6.png

and even though it says 3.5ghz with core 0, do the other three cores just suck?

image.png.651c87b521fe6694df0cceea571fa767.png

Maybe i have answered my own question, but just want some people to help me break it down. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not really sure what you are trying to do here but that CPU is quite old. Basically it has 4 cores that would all be P cores, the newer cpu's they added e-cores that are smaller but also means it consumes less power when running.

As for how the cores behave, usually they are all the same (of which you have 4). They have boost capabilities, which drive it higher than the standard core speed up to a certain limit. As you load up the core, it should boost up. If you load up all the cores, it will boost all of them but perhaps a little less each since it tries to work within a certain power/heat envelope.