Dumb Question (PCIe 8x--->1x)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello everyone. I know it is a dumb question (to most people), but I wanted to make sure before anything and ask all you intelligent people first.

I have 8x HDD in my current setup. Those 8x HDDs are plugged into a RAID Controller Card (8x PCIe). This card is plugged into my x16 PCIe slot, so no issues. I want to expand my m.2 (to 4x additional m.2) storage, so I am considering getting an adapter like the one here

Here is my dilemma: My motherboard only has the following expansion slots:

• 2 x PCI Express 4.0 x16
  • 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x1

My question is: Would a perceived performance drop if I plug the RAID Controller Card into the PCI Express 3.0 x1? I know it can "technically" work, and I know the speed difference between the two formats but I am unsure of the outcome. 

My server uses are media (using Plex/Emby) and as a backup for my files. I access files off of it but not for editing (photos, videos, etc.). 

Edited by dubbleup99
Grammar
  • Solution

If the controller works, since I seem to remember some LSI didn't work in an x1 slot, you will likely notice some bottlenecks during parity checks or disk rebuilds, for movie watching it shouldn't make any difference.

P.S. make sure your motherboard supports PCIe bifurcation to x4/x4/x4/x4 or the Asus Hypercard won't work with all 4 devices.