Boots but no network?

DWomack
Go to solution Solved by DWomack,

X9DRi-LN4F+
System has been running for about 6 months. Has been updated to latest UnRaid as they have come out.  More or less vanilla file server with one docker app running. 
I finally broke down and moved the motherboard from the open into  Fractal Design 7XL. 
ipmi works… can power system up and down and reset. 
Main network no longer works.  During the boot process, first the main lan socket led blinks, and a little later both leds are on.   When the booting process has completed and the console is waiting on login.  Both of the lights are off and the console says no ip4 and no ip6. 
The main lan is not pingable. 
The array is configured to not start automatically. 
The only thing plugged into a motherboard slot is an HBA.  It has been moved from the slot where it originally was for convenience. 

What’s the best was to troubleshoot this?  Disconnect the drives and use an older USB flash that worked in the past when originally testing the motherboard?

Could the HBA be interfering with the network driver.?

Thanks for any pointers.  The array is 45TB with about 27TB used. 

3 minutes ago, DWomack said:

What’s the best was to troubleshoot this?

You are going to need to see the local console. Hook up a monitor and see if the board is even completing POST.

4 minutes ago, DWomack said:

I finally broke down and moved the motherboard from the open into  Fractal Design 7XL. 

Are you sure you didn't omit a power cable or some other critical connection to the motherboard?

Are you sure you removed all unused mounting studs? Shorting out traces on the bottom of the board can have strange effects.

• Solution

Thanks for your reply.  

The enclosure only had one standoff installed and it couldn’t accept a screw.  I printed out a full size template of the motherboard to make sure I got the right standoffs installed.  

Since it is a server motherboard it has an RJ45 for ipmi. That worked.  Then there are four RJ45 for lan.  Sorry to say, but I had not plugged the lan back into the right one.  

I complicated the process by resetting the BIOS to optimized.  Then I had to mess with the boot options and finally getting it to boot EFI from the the USB flash.  

So now it boots sans disks.  I’ll shut it down again and reconnect all the drives.  Things should come right back. 

Hope this helps others.