Permission Issues After Changing Username in Unraid

Go to solution Solved by Michael Cabrera,

Description: I'm encountering permission-related problems on my Unraid server after changing the username from "root" to "nginx." Here are the details:

Issue Description: After changing the username, I'm facing various permission errors, including issues with sudo access, file ownership, and Nextcloud functionality.

Relevant Changes: I recently changed the username from "root" to "nginx" as an attempt to resolve previous issues.

System Information: I'm running Unraid version 6.12.4, with the following hardware specifications: [Provide Hardware Specs]. Additionally, I'm using Docker containers and have Nextcloud installed.  My Docker Containers are actually working fine.  Also, I am able to ssh in to Unraid.

Steps Taken: I've tried several troubleshooting steps, including changing the username back to "root" in configuration files and checking for permissions issues. However, I'm still encountering the same permission errors.

Expected Outcome: I expect to have normal system functionality and the ability to use sudo commands without permission issues.

Error Messages: I'm receiving error messages such as "Permission denied" when attempting to execute sudo commands or access certain directories.

Screenshot or Logs: Unfortunately, I'm unable to access screenshots at the moment due to the permission issues.  See attached syslog.txt

Reproducibility: The issue appears to be consistent and occurs with various commands and actions.

What You Need Help With: I need assistance with diagnosing and resolving the permission-related issues that have arisen after changing the username from "root" to "nginx." Specifically, I'm looking for guidance on restoring proper permissions and resolving any associated errors.

Thank you for your assistance!

Edited by Michael Cabrera

I think that may have been the problem.  It all began yesterday evening when I was tinkering with nextcloud container since I had an error, it said that it could not write into config directory.  And then I was reviewing some of the nginx config files and edited the /etc/nginx/nginx.conf file.  I also found online that, sudo chmod 777 -R /path/to/config, could work and I tried that as well.  None of it worked for me.

This morning, I logged in and saw that unraid was asking me to set a password for the root user account, and I realized then that i was in trouble.  

Any chance of getting back to the state I was in prior to this?  

I completely agree.  I may not really know what exactly happened.  I was just explaining in my initial post what I was working on prior to noticing a problem when I was trying to log in the next morning.  I'm just trying to get an idea of what I may be dealing with, prior to begin the thought of reinstalling unraid os and restoring it back to the state that it was in.  

Edited by Michael Cabrera