[SOLVED]. Renaming Hard drives in unRAID server

Userpaul

unRAID Server Pro 4.7

Apart from mapping my drives and renaming them on each pc/laptop on the network is there an alternative to this? I do not; and have no plans to, use the shares on unRAID at this time. So all my disks show as individual disks on my network, ie.

Disk 1

Disk 2

Disk 3

Disk 4

etc

I would like them to be

Music

Books

Working

Movies A -F

etc

I prefer to manage the files on each drive myself and plan to continue doing that going forward but I would dearly like to be able to rename my disk drives in unRAID and export those names to my network. Is this possible I have searched here and cannot see anything obvious.

Thank you

Create a top level directory on each disk as desired with the name you wish.  (Music might be on disk1, Books, on disk2, etc)

then, enable user shares and set the "split level" to "0" on each of the disks.  Split level 0 means you will need to create directories as you wish on the disks you desire, and you can manage were files are written s1nce the top level directory will only be on the disks you configure.

Lastly, disable, or make hidden the "disk shares" so all you'll see on the LAN is the user-share names and not the disk1, disk2, etc names.

Create a top level directory on each disk as desired with the name you wish.  (Music might be on disk1, Books, on disk2, etc)

then, enable user shares and set the "split level" to "0" on each of the disks.  Split level 0 means you will need to create directories as you wish on the disks you desire, and you can manage were files are written s1nce the top level directory will only be on the disks you configure.

Lastly, disable, or make hidden the "disk shares" so all you'll see on the LAN is the user-share names and not the disk1, disk2, etc names.

Thank you Joe. L that worked just how I wanted it to.

An alternative without using user shares is to create a smb-extra.conf file which creates samba shares with the names you would like to see. This also has the advantage of allowing the creation of samba shares at any directory level in the disk.

I am very interested in this mcs , but I could not work out where to do / insert file / files etc and I was worried I may mess up my disks. Could you perhaps put together a bullet point list on how to do this?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived