Stopped. Invalid expansion. - please help

So i wanted to reassign my disk11 to disk8 since i have removed some drives.  I stopped the array, unassigned 11 and assigned it to 8.  I go back to the main screen to start the array and it states Stopped. Invalid expansion.  Any advice?

I am running 4.7.

Odds are you will need to set a new initial disk configuration...  (if you've removed disks, it is definitely needed)

You will probably need to stop the array and use the

initconfig

command to set a new initial disk configuration.  Using it will immediately invalidate parity calculated on the old disk configuration.  When you start the array parity will be calculated on the new disk configuration.

for any more guidance, you will need to attach a system log and provide more detail on the original disks in the array, those removed, and the final disk configuration.

So i wanted to reassign my disk11 to disk8 since i have removed some drives.  I stopped the array, unassigned 11 and assigned it to 8.  I go back to the main screen to start the array and it states Stopped. Invalid expansion.  Any advice?

I am running 4.7.

Odds are you will need to set a new initial disk configuration...  (if you've removed disks, it is definitely needed)

You will probably need to stop the array and use the

initconfig

command to set a new initial disk configuration.  Using it will immediately invalidate parity calculated on the old disk configuration.  When you start the array parity will be calculated on the new disk configuration.

for any more guidance, you will need to attach a system log and provide more detail on the original disks in the array, those removed, and the final disk configuration.

i did the initconfig when i removed the drives.  I didnt think i would have to do it again for just moving the assignments.

You do have to perform an initconfig to move a drive to a different slot.

You can perform an initconfig immediately followed by a "trust my parity" to avoid having to calculate parity after the initconfig.

http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Make_unRAID_Trust_the_Parity_Drive,_Avoid_Rebuilding_Parity_Unnecessarily

This is what I would do:

initconfig

trust my parity

run a parity check

The advantage is that you will never be without parity protection.

You do have to perform an initconfig to move a drive to a different slot.

You can perform an initconfig immediately followed by a "trust my parity" to avoid having to calculate parity after the initconfig.

http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Make_unRAID_Trust_the_Parity_Drive,_Avoid_Rebuilding_Parity_Unnecessarily

This is what I would do:

initconfig

trust my parity

run a parity check

The advantage is that you will never be without parity protection.

thanks, that all worked out for me.

Archived