[Unraid 6.11.5]Unraid restarted by itself (unclean shutdown) whilst it was connected to a working UPS!

Terrace

Unraid restarted (unclean shutdown) whilst it was connected to a working UPS, losing me a lot of today's work, a large download that was almost complete and the ability to do any work tomorrow (20 hour parity check!)

The power in the house didn't even go out, i've been on the second computer without a UPS the entire time, the light are on in the house, everything is fine except i just lost my Unraid to a restart that I didn't ask for.

Rather than getting too angry about it and considering it some free time off, I do want to understand what happened though, I'm not very technically minded, so i might need it dumbed down a little for me.

I'm uploading the whole diagnostic, but right at the start it seemed that it downloaded microcode and then crashed installing it?

"Sep 23 21:48:46 Tower kernel: microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0xf0"

If that's what did it, then I'd definitely like to know how to disable it doing that! I can't really afford this work computer to just go down and need a  20 hour parity check frequently. but of course it could be something else entirely.

tower-diagnostics-20230923-2205.zip

Edited by Terrace
  • Terrace changed the title to [Unraid 6.11.5]Unraid restarted by itself (unclean shutdown) whilst it was connected to a working UPS!
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

The system restarting by itself suggests a hardware error.

Unfortunately diagnostics will not show what happened before the reboot.    To get persistent logs that survive a reboot you need the syslog server, and with that the Mirror to flash option is the easiest to use to get the syslog in the ‘logs’ folder on the flash drive.

I'm following the first step, which is turning on the syslog mirror on the flash drive, but now that seems like I have to wait for it to randomly restart out of nowhere again to get anywhere with that, so this current restart event will just be a mystery? there's no way to solve it?

It's a bit of a shame if it's hardware because it was 70 days stable at one point, and then i've manually turned the whole system off when someone came to change something with the gas supply and smart meter in my home. So it's been going really steady.

I did spot one thing in red in the system log

Sep 23 21:48:46 Tower kernel: 9pnet: Installing 9P2000 support

Sep 23 21:48:46 Tower kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

Sep 23 21:48:46 Tower kernel: microcode: sig=0x906ea, pf=0x2, revision=0xf0

Sep 23 21:48:46 Tower kernel: microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

Microcode update into immediate hardware error?

Edited by Terrace