Would it be crazy to try to use 10-11 4TB SSD drives inside one tower case?

RasterEyes
Go to solution Solved by Vr2Io,

I had been thinking making an SSD version of my current 36TB system, which uses four 12TB HDs (one parity drive), would be hideously expensive. But I can buy some 4TB 2.5" SATA III SSDs for about $140 US each. Ten would only cost $1400, or maybe I'd get 11 for $1540, and have two parity drives instead of just one.

The cabling would be a tangled mess, however, with all of those SATA cables and power cables, unless perhaps there are solutions I'm not aware of to get that kind of cable chaos under control. I don't have that many drive bays either, and might have to settle for SSDs just floating around at the ends of cables.

As for cooling and power, I'd guess 11 SSD use less power, and generate less heat, than 4 HDs.

I got inspired to consider the idea of going all SSD again tonight when my wife and I were watching a movie. Playback sputtered a few times, and I was wondering if my MKV file was corrupt... but then I realized I was running a backup of my array, which had been going on for hours, and has hours left to go. The backup was probably just fighting for access time on the same HD the movie was streaming from.

• Solution
16 hours ago, RasterEyes said:

The cabling would be a tangled mess, however, with all of those SATA cables and power cables, unless perhaps there are solutions I'm not aware

There are some rack product have SAS / SATA, so no mess data and power cable. And price also affordable.

For example, Gooxi RMC2125 just need usd520. ( Mfg price)

IMG_20230926_040821.thumb.jpg.1e95a0c60be5db80045ec52cb73d7c30.jpg

16 hours ago, RasterEyes said:

As for cooling and power, I'd guess 11 SSD use less power, and generate less heat, than 4 HDs.

Almost same even little bit more.

Edited by Vr2Io