Question concerning new build

jimmydrac1

Hello everyone. Thanks for having a great forum!! I am in the process of moving from a 8TB WHS V1 machine to a UNRAID Build. Not to sound like a broken record but I am making the switch because of the loss of DE and the inability to use 3TB hard drives. I really need help deciding between motherboards. The current Asus P5K-E that I am using on WHS is starting to tweek out a little. I thought that if I am going to do a rebuild I'll go ahead and switch over as well. I have read a lot of the forums here and belive I have good understanding of UNRAID. I just need some information so I can purchase a motherboard this week and spend the weekend building a new Media Server!! I already have 2 socket 775 CPU's. One is a q9550 and the other is a e6750 (Using in WHS). I also have a Lian Li PC-V 2000 case. Holds 12 hard drives. Love it. My power supply is a SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold. I will only be using this build to store movies, photos & music. I can use another PC as a go-between to serve up movies to my PS3. So I basically won't have a great need to make UNRAID do a lot of things it was never intended to do. I will start out with 4 2TB Hard Drives, expanding to 8 2TB within a month, (already have extra drives) and slowly build up to 15 to 20 drives. But I MUST have the ability to use 3TB Hard Drives in the future.

I was looking at the supermicro C2SEA. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182161&Tpk=supermicro%20C2SEA.  I know many people use this one for UNRAID and have lots of success.

1. Has anyone used 3TB hard drives with THIS board and UNRAID Beta 5 version 11 or 12?

2. I noticed some people having problems with realtec LAN's. Is this Motherboard affected by this problem? Or is the problem within the beta 12 software?

3. I also will be eventually using 2 SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8. I am sure this MB can handle 2 of these from all posts I have read here.

4. If this MB won't work what should be my next choice? X8SIL-F with a I3 540?

5. Is it ok to use non advanced format and advanced format drives together? If so how do you format them is UNRAID? Unaligned or 4k?

Thanks for all answers and for having a great community forum!!!

5. Is it ok to use non advanced format and advanced format drives together? If so how do you format them is UNRAID? Unaligned or 4k?

Thanks for all answers and for having a great community forum!!!

Others can answer your MB, LAN, Controller Card and 3TB questions...but for #5

Yes it is ok to use AF and non AF drives together. You format both type of new drives as "MBR: 4K-aligned".  Options for AF drives with jumpers installed and other information is shown here:     http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10483.0

and here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9936.0

Can anyone please tell me if the supermicro C2SEA will allow 3TB hard drives to operate thru the AOC-SASLP-MV8 controller. I really like the board and controller and want to build the new UNRAID media server, but I can't until I am sure that the motherboard is future proof.

Thanks!!

the SASLP card does support 3TB drives, if you connect the 3TB drives to that controller you will be fine.  connecting them to the motherboard I am not sure, but I would hazard a guess that it will also work.