Mount Synology Volume as One SMB Share?

Good morning, all.

?:  How do you mount an entire Synology volume instead of individual shares?

Background:

I'm moving from a Synology DS918 to a new Unraid build.  I have my Unraid server up and running, and I can mount individual shares from the DS918 in Unraid.  However, there are a lot, and I would like to mount the top level Volume from the DS918, similar to a root share in unraid.  I'm providing Admin account credentials to the DS918.

Thank you!

Yes, I've done that.  I'm able to access the DS918 at a top level with my Mac, but I can't figure out the syntax to use in Unraid when I try to "add remote SMB/NFS share."

In the DS918, SMB service is enabled, and it shows the addresses as follows:

PC (windows explorer):  \\DS918

Mac (Finder):  smb://DS918

Thank you.

9 hours ago, dlandon said:

What happens if you let UD search for the server and then search for the share?

The 'root' level of the DS918 is not displayed when I let UD search for shares.  When I'm in File Station on the Synology box, this is shown as "volume1."

When I manually add the "volume1" as the share, it is displayed in the list of SMB shares, but when I try to mount it, I receive a "fail" message.  Here's what is listed in the syslog:

Sep 30 03:37:02 tower unassigned.devices: SMB mount failed: 'mount error(95): Operation not supported Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) '.

Sep 30 03:37:02 tower unassigned.devices: Remote Share '//DS918/volume1' failed to mount.

Thanks.

Try this procedure to create a root share on your Synology NAS:

To make an entire Synology NAS appear as a root share, you'll need to configure the NAS's shared folders and permissions accordingly. Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Access DSM (DiskStation Manager): Log in to the DSM interface of your Synology NAS.

2. Create Shared Folders:
    * Go to Control Panel > Shared Folder.
    * Click on Create to make a new shared folder.
    * Configure the settings, such as name, description, and location.
    * If you want the entire NAS to be accessible, you might want to create one shared folder that encompasses all the data.

3. Set Permissions:
    * After creating the shared folder, go to Permissions tab.
    * Click Create to add a new permission.
    * Select the user or group you want to grant access to.
    * Choose the level of access (e.g., Read/Write) you want to provide.

4. Enable Advanced Permissions (Optional):
    * In the Permissions tab, click Advanced Permissions.
    * Here, you can further customize permissions based on specific users or groups.

5. Enable SMB (or NFS) Service:
    * Go to Control Panel > File Services.
    * Make sure that the appropriate protocol (SMB or NFS) is enabled based on your network setup.

6. Set Up Shares:
    * For SMB, go to Control Panel > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS.
    * In the SMB tab, select Advanced Settings.
    * Check Enable SMB service.
    * Configure any other settings as per your preferences.

7. Configure Shared Folder Advanced Settings:
    * In the Shared Folder settings, select the shared folder you created earlier.
    * Click on Edit.
    * Under the Advanced Settings tab, ensure that Enable Recycle Bin and Enable Transfer Log are configured according to your needs.

8. Apply Changes:
    * After making all the necessary adjustments, click Apply or Save to confirm the changes.

9. Access the Root Share:
    * Using a file manager on your computer, try connecting to the NAS using its IP address or hostname. For example, in Windows 

Explorer, you can type \\[NAS_IP] or \\[NAS_Hostname] to access the root share.
      Remember to replace [NAS_IP] and [NAS_Hostname] with the actual IP address or hostname of your Synology NAS.

Please note that making an entire NAS appear as a root share means that users accessing it will have access to all shared folders and files within. Make sure to manage permissions carefully to prevent unauthorized access to sensitive data.