Intel D945PSN motherboard

gulo

Hello

I have an older Intel D945PSN motherboard with Pentium D CPU. Does anyone know if it will run ok with unraid ? It has built-in intel gigabit ethernet, 4 sata slots. No onboard video but I got few extra video cards laying around.

I presume I should be able to add more SATA slots in the future by using a PCI-E expansion card?

Also, would I save money on electric bill if I went with a) core duo or b) some cheap old stuff like a AMD sempron cpu as opposed to Pentium D ?

thanks

Hello

I have an older Intel D945PSN motherboard with Pentium D CPU. Does anyone know if it will run ok with unraid ? It has built-in intel gigabit ethernet, 4 sata slots. No onboard video but I got few extra video cards laying around.

Can't be sure but most all intel boards will work just fine.

I presume I should be able to add more SATA slots in the future by using a PCI-E expansion card?

should be able to, something like the SASLP card.

Also, would I save money on electric bill if I went with a) core duo or b) some cheap old stuff like a AMD sempron cpu as opposed to Pentium D ?

Yes you would save a little power, with either of those options.  might not be worth it though.

thanks your the reply.

Generally speaking - I'm wondering if we presume I get 430W power supply and do a 5-7 drives unraid server, how much money a month would switching to a more efficient CPU would save me ? less than $5 ? less then $20 ?

That will depend on you location and kw/h price.  Most of the time, it is a very marginal amount of money... at least it is for me.

Just make sure the PSU you are getting/using is single rail in design.