possible to exclude a drive from parity?

xokia

The mirror to USB drive is a little bit dangerous if you fill the drive. I have run into it corrupting the drive. What I have found effective is to use a second usb drive on the same machine and create a syslog server pointing back to itself and point to the second USB drive. Then I can set the log files to split on a specific size. This prevents the log file from growing to large to open. This has happened with me for random seg faults.

The only issue I see with this plan is you have to add the drive to the array. Which then gets added to parity check. And then when you want to remove it you have to create a new setup 🙃

Might be a feature that might be useful in the future. Having a second USB drive that can be configured to only write syslog to would be beneficial in a lot of ways. Or is there another way to set the same thing up I am missing? If that were possible I'd probably just always leave the USB drive in to preserve syslog. Then something to delete old files or overwrite old files once the drive fills.

Edited by xokia
3 hours ago, xokia said:

The only issue I see with this plan is you have to add the drive to the array. Which then gets added to parity check. And then when you want to remove it you have to create a new setup 🙃

I don’t see in theory why it cannot be an Unassigned Device or a pool device.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

I don’t see in theory why it cannot be an Unassigned Device or a pool device.

I did not see a way to assign an unassigned drive to the syslog server. I did not try making it a cache drive. I will try that when I get my new MB and RAM. If I recall correctly I only saw assigned drives show up as options to be assigned to syslog server.

The other thing that is kinda useful with writing it to the same drive as the OS is that is formatted in fat. So it can be removed and placed into a windows machine to read. I do not think that is possible with these other ways being discussed.

1 hour ago, xokia said:

I did not see a way to assign an unassigned drive to the syslog server. I did not try making it a cache drive. I will try that when I get my new MB and RAM. If I recall correctly I only saw assigned drives show up as options to be assigned to syslog server.

The other thing that is kinda useful with writing it to the same drive as the OS is that is formatted in fat. So it can be removed and placed into a windows machine to read. I do not think that is possible with these other ways being discussed.

You could put the drive in its own pool and create a share that is exclusive to that pool which you can then select via the GUI.    Shame there is not an option to enter the path manually as this would allow for UD drives.      I think if it is in a pool and is formatted as XFS that such drives may now be readable in Windows under the WSL sub-system - something I have been meaning to try for myself.