Movie Docker Contains to Cache on 6.12.4

So I have been on a mission to optimize my Unraid setup. Final action that I need to complete is moving my docker containers to the cache drive(as recommended by "Fix Common Issues").

I found this thread which I think is the right course of action for me...with some modified steps below:

1. Stop all running Dockers
  2. Settings -> Docker: disable Docker and click apply
  3. From the shares tab, click on the appdata share. Set Primary storage to by Cache. Set Secondary Storage to Array. Mover action set to: Array --> Cache.
  4. Check that there's enough free space on the array and invoke the mover by clicking "Move Now" on the Main page
  5. When the mover finishes check that your cache has all the data.
  6. Start dockers
  7. From the shares tab, click on the appdata share. Set Primary storage to by Cache. Set Secondary Storage to None.
    1. Running backups of my appdata folder on a schedule
  8. (Optional) - Enabled Exclusive shares under Settings->Global Share settings (thanks to @itimpi for this info)
Edited by pologoalie8908
Added info
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

There is (optionally) a step 8 where the appdata share is set to use Exclusive mode to improve performance..

Cool thanks! I just wanted to throw this together so hopefully some poor soul in the same situation has a solution. With the wording change of the Share options no longer saying "prefer" i figured a step by step with updated language might help

5 minutes ago, pologoalie8908 said:

Would you have any insight on how to accomplish this and what the benefits would be? I see the exclusive option but i cant change it:

You have to have enabled Exclusive shares under Settings->Global Share settings, and addition there must be no remaining files and/or folders relating to the share on anything other than the pool set as Primary Storage. 

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You have to have enabled Exclusive shares under Settings->Global Share settings, and addition there must be no remaining files and/or folders relating to the share on anything other than the pool set as Primary Storage. 

Thanks got that done, Ill update my original post with your helpful info...

So what are the benefits to doing this?