Interpreting Seek Error Rates

Hello,

I have a couple of 8TB toshiba drives that I've had for a few years which recently started both saying there are some seek error rates in the smart report, however I'm not sure how to interpret the report. Are these just one off errors that could have been caused by a bad cable connection? Or are these drives legitimately failing and I need to put in replacements immediately? I've attached the smart reports to this post.

TOSHIBA_HDWG180_X040A052FBEG-20231014-2301.txt TOSHIBA_HDWG180_X040A0CEFBEG-20231014-2300.txt

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

That is common with some Toshiba drives, most likely a firmware issue, disks should be fine, but like mentioned run an extended test.

I can't seem to get an extended or short test to even run on either of the drives, it tries and then a few seconds later says "Completed: unknown failure".

image.png.984c36aabaadaba233fdcdd03cafb0b5.png

image.png.cf8da388d34719d7dca601362705dedc.png

The SMART error log is empty for both drives.

Edited by sazrocks
7 hours ago, sazrocks said:

How can it go from "Failing" to "Past"?

That means it failed in the past but is not failing now.

15 hours ago, sazrocks said:

I can't seem to get an extended or short test to even run on either of the drives,

Run a non correcting parity check, it's basically the same as an extended SMART test.