Help me with a "better" solution

unraidnoob

Hey guys,

Need some advice and education cause I think I've kinda halfassed my server and want to make it more efficient.

Currently using a 8tb unraid that pretty much just stores my content but from what i read here and can actually get it to do much much more.

the house has a few iphones, tablets, and laptops and an htpc ..

1)remotely i use airvideo on my iproducts through the htpc to stream content via wifi or 3g to my mobile devices... (can this be done more efficiently?)

2) my htpc does all my torrent downloading... because i can access it with my phone remotely through logmein.. is there an app i can use that will allow me to manage downloads through my phone via 3g?

3) i use the itunes home media service to stream music.. is there a better way to do this without having my htpc on with itunes? (via 3g and wifi)

i guess i want to find a way to limit the use of my htpc and maximize the use of my server and i don't know how..

also would i need to increase the performance of my server?  my server is 1 gig ram on an amd  single core sempron

thanks..

1)remotely i use airvideo on my iproducts through the htpc to stream content via wifi or 3g to my mobile devices... (can this be done more efficiently?)

This is possible, there is an unMenu package that will make the install of airvideo on the unRAID server easier.

2) my htpc does all my torrent downloading... because i can access it with my phone remotely through logmein.. is there an app i can use that will allow me to manage downloads through my phone via 3g?

There is an unMenu package for this also... though I DO NOT suggest downloading it right now.  I am in the process of re-writing the package and should have a new version up by the end of this coming weekend.

3) i use the itunes home media service to stream music.. is there a better way to do this without having my htpc on with itunes? (via 3g and wifi)

Again, there is a way to do this, do a search on the forums and you should find it... I think it is in the applications thread.

also would i need to increase the performance of my server?  my server is 1 gig ram on an amd  single core sempron

thanks..

Yes, more RAM would be much appreciated by airvideo and the single core sempron would need to be updated to help with the transcoding on the fly of content.

If will not be as easy as setting this all up on your HTPC, but it is all doable.  Do a forum search and you should find the information.

Archived