unRAID & OpenVPN client

wbburden

Is it possible to install the OpenVPN client on a unRAID server? I want to create a tunnel between my server and a remote host. I don't want my edge device (firewall) to establish that tunnel since all traffic would then be encrypted and sent over the tunnel. I found a reference on this forum that refers to rebuilding the kernel to make this happen. Am I on the right track? Thanks.

Is it possible to install the OpenVPN client on a unRAID server? I want to create a tunnel between my server and a remote host. I don't want my edge device (firewall) to establish that tunnel since all traffic would then be encrypted and sent over the tunnel. I found a reference on this forum that refers to rebuilding the kernel to make this happen. Am I on the right track? Thanks.

If you are using version 5 the kernel has all you need. I can post later some instructions.

Take a look at HMA or ibVPN. I use it for security for most of my network hosts. I also have VoIP phones and don't want that data crossing the tunnel. That's why I don't set the VPN client up on the edge firewall. I need to look into split tunneling with OpenVPN to get around that. But for the time being I want to install the VPN client on my unRAID system.

• 4 months later...

Take a look at HMA or ibVPN. I use it for security for most of my network hosts. I also have VoIP phones and don't want that data crossing the tunnel. That's why I don't set the VPN client up on the edge firewall. I need to look into split tunneling with OpenVPN to get around that. But for the time being I want to install the VPN client on my unRAID system.

Have you had any success with this??

Archived