Share not showing accurate capacity or free space after disk work

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi,

I've been doing some work rearranging disks on my array. In summary, I did the following:

* Disk 3 was a scratch disk and not part of the media2 share. I excluded it specifically from media2. I removed it from the array and added it as a cache pool.

* I added a new disk to my array and as this is the largest (20TB), made it the parity drive by removing the current disk and added it. Parity was successfully re-pgenerated.

* I added the previous parity disk back to the array as disk 3. The pre-clear and formatting all worked and it was added.

* I updated the media2 share to include all disks in the array (so including disk 3)

After all this, I've started and stopped the array etc. but for whatever reason, it's not showing the extra space from the addition of the new drive (in terms of total capacity of the share and free space). The new disk, disk3 also seems to be empty of files so nothing is being copied there.

Diagnostics is attached. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Should I remove it as disk3 and add as the next new disk?

tower-diagnostics-20231121-1915.zip

Edited by paulmorabi
12 hours ago, itimpi said:

Drives do not get added to the size for a share until at least one file or folder for that share has been created on the drive.

I was holding on replying to see if some data would get written to the new disk. I've copied over a lot of files and still nothing added to disk 3. Is there anything I can do to prompt this or is it just a matter of waiting?

• Solution
1 hour ago, paulmorabi said:

I was holding on replying to see if some data would get written to the new disk. I've copied over a lot of files and still nothing added to disk 3. Is there anything I can do to prompt this or is it just a matter of waiting?

When it gets written to will depend on the Allocation Method you have selected for the share and how full your current drives are.   It can be some time!   You could manually create a folder corresponding to the share name on the drive if you want to force it to show up early.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

When it gets written to will depend on the Allocation Method you have selected for the share and how full your current drives are.   It can be some time!   You could manually create a folder corresponding to the share name on the drive if you want to force it to show up early.

Perfect! That worked. Thank you!