USB flash drive died - Two newly added disks missing from older super.dat backup

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

My USB flash drive died yesterday so I went through the process last night to create a new one.  I have CA Backup / Restore Appdata installed and it was taking flash drive backups to my system.  I thought I had Unraid Connect set up (I know it was installed) but was unable to get anything to load.  I was able to pull the drive from Unraid that had the backups on it, mount it to my Windows laptop using PowerISO (it's in XFS format), pull the config folder from the backup, and paste it to a freshly formatted USB drive using the Unraid tool and the latest stable version.  With this, I was able to get the server back up and running but I had no array disks mapped.  After some more searching, I found that the plugin stores the file with the name of super.dat.CA_BACKUP so as to not cause issues if it was named super.dat.  After removing the ".CA_BACKUP", I rebooted and most of my drives are now there and the array started without issue.

I have two drives I've added to the system since that backup was taken (I'm guessing) and I see them the Unassigned Devices tab.  I also have a drive that lives in Unassigned and am able to distinguish which one that is compared to the other two that were in the array.

When I try to add the two drives to the array, I'm presented with a note that all the data will be erased when the array is started.  How am I able to add these back into the array without having them wiped?

Screenshot 2023-11-27 004711.png

Screenshot 2023-11-27 004744.png

• Solution
38 minutes ago, snowborder714 said:

When I try to add the two drives to the array, I'm presented with a note that all the data will be erased when the array is started.  How am I able to add these back into the array without having them wiped?

Tools - New config, assign the disks and then check "parity is already valid" before array start.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Tools - New config, assign the disks and then check "parity is already valid" before array start.

That seemed to have worked!  I had found a lot of things saying to check the "parity is already valid" but didn't know about the New Config option.

For reference, I checked all of the pervasive options to keep the current disk assignments.  I couldn't really find too much about whether that was necessary or not.

14 minutes ago, snowborder714 said:

That seemed to have worked!  I had found a lot of things saying to check the "parity is already valid" but didn't know about the New Config option.

For reference, I checked all of the pervasive options to keep the current disk assignments.  I couldn't really find too much about whether that was necessary or not.

You should now run a correcting parity check to confirm that the parity really is valid, and if not update it to match the current drive set.