(SOLVED) UNRAID kernel: traps: smartctl[12156] general protection fault (SOLVED)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Recently I've been seeing general protection faults regarding smartctl.  The two most recent examples are:

Nov 30 18:56:01 UNRAID kernel: traps: smartctl[12156] general protection fault ip:1467c84358e4 sp:7ffe9bf86558 error:0 in libc-2.37.so[1467c8373000+169000]

Dec  1 00:45:05 UNRAID kernel: traps: smartctl[18759] general protection fault ip:14b9dd2d28e4 sp:7ffe6616ed48 error:0 in libc-2.37.so[14b9dd210000+169000]

I added two 20TB SAS drives as my parity drives and I think these general protection faults started around that time.

I have checked all cables for proper connection and function and cannot identify any issues with cables.

As far as I can tell, everything is working fine but seeing these errors in the log is a bit concerning.

Diagnostics attached.

Thanks in advance.

unraid-diagnostics-20231201-0448.zip

Edited by username34793
additional info and typos

@JorgeB

Thank you for the reply and insight.  I am barely a novice when it comes to understanding Linux.  Do you have any further information regarding this general protection fault or perhaps you can point me to some resources to better understand Linux/UNRAID general protection faults? 

My assumption is this has something to do with the SAS drives I added and the way SAS drives handle and report SMART info but I am pretty much just guessing.  I do not have the required understanding to do anything other than guess.

I'll take your advice and not worry for now but I would love to understand more about these faults.

• Solution
1 hour ago, username34793 said:

you can point me to some resources to better understand Linux/UNRAID general protection faults?

Not really, but if it was a more serious hardware issue you should see other apps segfaulting.

1 hour ago, username34793 said:

My assumption is this has something to do with the SAS drives I added and the way SAS drives handle and report SMART info but I am pretty much just guessing.

It's a possibility.

• username34793 changed the title to (SOLVED) UNRAID kernel: traps: smartctl[12156] general protection fault (SOLVED)