We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Upgrading an Existing Data Drive

AVTechMan

I am running the 4.7 version of unRAID and so far very happy with it so far, no issues.

Currently my system is very small, 2TB parity, 2TB data and a 120GB data drive (three drive limit under free version). Soon I will upgrade the 120GB to another 2TB drive.

I've already read the procedure on the different Wiki and FAQs however my question is based on the order in which to do it in. Before shutting down the server, is it necessary to first unassign the drive that is going to be replaced? Or can I just simply power down the server and replace the drive?

I realize that with a new hard drive I will need to run the preclear script first before assigning it to the array, so while unRAID will detect the new drive, I wouldn't assign it until the preclear procedure has been done first. I'm sure its a simple question, but I just wanted to be sure. Soon I will buy the Plus license to where I can add more drives as I can.

Thanks for the help! :)

I am running the 4.7 version of unRAID and so far very happy with it so far, no issues.

Currently my system is very small, 2TB parity, 2TB data and a 120GB data drive (three drive limit under free version). Soon I will upgrade the 120GB to another 2TB drive.

I've already read the procedure on the different Wiki and FAQs however my question is based on the order in which to do it in. Before shutting down the server, is it necessary to first unassign the drive that is going to be replaced? Or can I just simply power down the server and replace the drive?

I realize that with a new hard drive I will need to run the preclear script first before assigning it to the array, so while unRAID will detect the new drive, I wouldn't assign it until the preclear procedure has been done first. I'm sure its a simple question, but I just wanted to be sure. Soon I will buy the Plus license to where I can add more drives as I can.

Thanks for the help! :)

Either way will work.

If you simply replace the drive, unRAID will ask if it is the replacement, and when you start it it will begin re-construction onto the  replacement.

That will not give you the chance to pre-clear it to exercise it to learn if it is has any problems.

I'd do an initial parity check first, to make sure all the disks are working properly, then

un-assign, power down, replace drive, power up, pre-clear, then assign and re-construct onto the replacement.

The preclear only helps with adding a new disk, not upgrading or replacing an existing disk. There are no rebuild time benefits by preclearing before using.

However, the preclear works great as a burn-in tool for every new disk and is highly recommended to use as such.

Peter

I agree, but it would make sense to preclear the new disk that will be replacing the existing one first, no?

Correct

At the very minimum I think you should read all the sectors on the replacement disk.  That will give its smart firmware a chance to identify unreadable sectors.

If you do not preclear a disk used in re-construction then the first time you will learn of an un-readable sector will be when you next do a parity check.  And by then it may be too late.   

The preclear only helps with adding a new disk, not upgrading or replacing an existing disk. There are no rebuild time benefits by preclearing before using.

However, the preclear works great as a burn-in tool for every new disk and is highly recommended to use as such.

Peter

I agree, but it would make sense to preclear the new disk that will be replacing the existing one first, no?

Yes, read what I posted in the second paragraph.

Peter

Archived