Damaged video file - Unraid issue?

kupoint

I'm using Unraid as a media server. Today, I encountered an error in a video file I was watching. The image pixellated for a second, but the sound remained unaffected. (It looked like this (not my image): https://www.winxdvd.com/play-video/pics/mkv-pixelated.jpg

I downloaded the file to my local PC and could reproduce the issue at the same timestamp, confirming that the problem lies with the file itself and not the network connection or other factors.

I ripped the video file a year ago using MakeMKV, and as far as I know, that program would fail if the disk had an error like this. I'm also pretty sure that the file was intact a few months ago (I can't be certain, but I would have noticed such a significant error). Windows Explorer also indicates that the file was last modified a year ago.

I've initiated a manual parity check (which will take around 20 hours) to see if any discrepancies arise. Regarding the affected file, I can re-rip the disk, but I'm concerned about the possibility of more corrupted files. Are there any additional measures I can take to safeguard my files?

Edited by kupoint

There are a number of ways to detect data being corrupted after it is written:

• For XFS file systems you can install the File Integrity plugin that will generate checksums for your files. 
  • Use BTRFS (or ZFS) file systems which have built-in check-summing of files.

Note that in both cases this is about detecting corruption has occurred - it is not about fixing it so backups are still necessary for important data that you cannot easily get again.