Rsync transfer went wrong, how to recover?

PFT1
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Something appears to have gone wrong in following the process to replace multiple data drives with a single larger drive using the rsync command.

Folders and files have been transferred to the the new larger disk but appear in a separate folder and cannot be accessed via Windows or by a media player (Duneplayer). Everything seems to be present but just not in the right place.

Specifically, the new disk (disk17) includes a folder called disk18 which contains  the transferred files: /mnt/disk17/disk18.

Is there a simple and safe way to move the files from this folder into the correct destinations in /mnt/disk17? And any ideas why the transfer didn’t work properly? (I  don’t rule out operator error).

Thanks in advance.

• Solution

When you use rsync then trailing slashes on the paths used are important - it looks like you go one of them wrong 🙂

You can probably correct most of the issues by using the 'mv' command from a console session and this would be the quickest.    If for any reason there are any issues doing this or you are not comfortable with the command line I suggest you use the Dynamix File Manager plugin to move them.

Since you also mention that you were not able to access the folder contents you probably also managed to get the permissions messed up so you should run Tools->New Permissions against disk17.

OK thanks for tips.

I just want to double-check that using mv will be safe in terms of parity, the reason for asking is that some earlier googling turned up hints that it might not be with /mnt transfers.

Regarding rsync, I think I may have missed the trailing slash after the source so my fault

5 hours ago, PFT1 said:

I just want to double-check that using mv will be safe in terms of parity, the reason for asking is that some earlier googling turned up hints that it might not be with /mnt transfers.

All transfers to/from /mnt/ locations will be parity safe.   The only thing one needs to be careful of is that you never reference a User Share and a disk share in the same copy/move command as that can lead to data loss.   If in doubt use the Dynamix File Manager to carry out the operation as it protects you against such scenarios.