System locking up, and forcing restart every 24 hours

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Good morning all,

My Unraid system has become incredibly unstable lately and is locking up roughly every 24 hours.

Initially through the logs I'd come to conclusion that one of my cache drivers was failing so upgraded both to new drives in an attempt to squash this problem once and for all!  All seemed stable for a day or so, and then the problems returned.

I am no expert at reading logs, and am at somewhat of a loss as to what to do next, so if anyone could provide some assistance, it's be greatly appreciated.  I attach yesterdays, as the machine has completely locked this morning, and I can't even access the gui to download them.

Many thanks in advance for your help

J

tower-diagnostics-20231201-2149.zip

Edited by Jackjohnsonuk
  • Solution

Your diagnostics show macvlan related crashes and these are known to eventually crash the server with the 6.12.x related releases.    You should either switch docker to using ipvlan via settings->Docker (Advanced view) and reboot, or if you want to continue using macvlan make sure you have followed the requirements for this in the release notes.

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Your diagnostics show macvlan related crashes and these are known to eventually crash the server with the 6.12.x related releases.    You should either switch docker to using ipvlan via settings->Docker (Advanced view) and reboot, or if you want to continue using macvlan make sure you have followed the requirements for this in the release notes.

Thank you itimpi for your prompt response, I've swapped the docker network to ipvlan as suggested.  Hopefully that is it!

Today's shenanigans had pinned all my array devices to full read speed, while it was doing a parity check, and make the whole gui unresponsive.  I couldn't stop the parity check from command line, nor export diagnostics.  It was just locked up.  Does macvlan just cause havoc to all things when it goes bad, or is it normally just related to network issues?

Thankfully syslog server has saved today's events, which I attach.

Thanks again for your help so far, it is appreciated.

syslog-192.168.1.10.log

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to you both for this, changing to ipvlan managed to fix that issue, however, something else is now causing the machine to kill the docker service overnight...

To my inexpert eyes, and from reading the logs, I think it's possibly my usb boot drive dying?  Is anyone else able to please cast their eye over it and see if that is the case or if I should start looking somewhere else please?

tower-diagnostics-20231222-0614.zip

Edited by Jackjohnsonuk