Moving and Organizing Files?

(again, I'm new to UnRaid but couldn't find much detail in the docs for this topic)

If I have data in an array, what is the best practice means of moving files around within the array?  For example:

1. Array A has 4 disks, from that there are multiple shares.

2. I want to move files from share 1 to share 2

3. If I do this via a remote client connection, will I be transferring files over the network to perform the move operation via the client?  OR

4. Does UnRaid know to move the files to the desired location, without relying on the client and consuming the network?

I am currently using Dynamix file manager but it seems to have a lot of issues (based on the support thread) and I worry it may corrupt my files if I try to perform the move entirely within the GUI.

1 hour ago, Unraidnoob2000 said:

I am currently using Dynamix file manager but it seems to have a lot of issues (based on the support thread) and I worry it may corrupt my files if I try to perform the move entirely within the GUI.

Are you basing this assumption on the latest posts to this thread or simply looking at the whole history since it was introduced?    I would think it was the least likely to cause issues!

For Dynamix:

Maybe I'm not making a fair assumption?  I'll admit that.  I'm using it right now to perform a long-running move operation and have hit a few snags:

1. unassigned device capacity not updating during move operation

2. Inconsistent file transfer metrics, or maybe the metrics mean something else?  For example, percentage complete jumps from 20-99% and everywhere in between.

3. Checking the move operation itself, from the main tab, will inconsistently show/not show transfer progress details when I expand the operation

I think I may opt to simply use "mv" from terminal to move files going forward.  That is, unless performing file organization operations from a client does not require the files to move across the network back/forth from the client to server.

Edited by Unraidnoob2000
misspelling