Adaptec 71605 - Firmware 7.6-0 32136 ?!

Hey there,

bought an Adaptec 71605 RAID/HBA Controller to increase my HDD capacity and i am wondering about the installed firmware.

getting from time to time errors like:

Dec  6 13:57:14 Serenity kernel: aacraid: Host adapter abort request.
Dec  6 13:57:14 Serenity kernel: aacraid: Outstanding commands on (2,1,10,0):

googled a bit and i seems todo with the sheduler from the kernel that could be set false and one suggestion is to check the firmware from the HBA.

then i found out that my firmware is 7.6-0 (32136)

Firefly_23-12-06_13-55-41_wuC_00092083.p

but the newest version i can find online is 7.5.-0 (32118)

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/raid/sas_raid/sas-71605/

am im beeing hacked? :D

has anyone an idea to solve the abort request issue?

Edited by Marcel40625
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 11:28 PM, Marcel40625 said:

getting from time to time errors like:

Dec  6 13:57:14 Serenity kernel: aacraid: Host adapter abort request.
Dec  6 13:57:14 Serenity kernel: aacraid: Outstanding commands on (2,1,10,0):

From the release notes and the Kernel bug report it looks like a symptom of the aacraid driver regression, if you're on 6.12.5 or .6 I'd roll back to 6.12.4 as soon as you can. I'd also independently verify the integrity of any files written to disks on the controller whilst 6.12.5 / 6 was running just in case.

On 12/6/2023 at 11:28 PM, Marcel40625 said:

then i found out that my firmware is 7.6-0 (32136)
but the newest version i can find online is 7.5.-0 (32118)

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/raid/sas_raid/sas-71605/

I can't find any info on 32136 other than it does exist (see above bug report) but it is not available on the Microsemi website. Also curious as to why this version is circulating and how it differed from 32118.

On 12/19/2023 at 10:41 PM, dripsnek said:

I can't find any info on 32136 other than it does exist (see above bug report) but it is not available on the Microsemi website. Also curious as to why this version is circulating and how it differed from 32118.

for me it seems like this version got pulled back because of errors/issues maybe? but i read you cant downgrade the firmware on that card

• 5 weeks later...

Chiming in here because I was in a similar boat and this was the only search result I really found about Adaptec ASR 71605 with version 7.6.0 build 32136.
I'm running in HBA mode and I was getting intermittant read/write issues, unraid wouldn't cleanly shutdown, write speeds would fall in the toilet, and after adding 10TB drives I started getting long (or hung) boots with a bunch of unsettling error: "efiblockioreadblocks lba out of range blockio-command failed" prior to the system post screen.

I know the previous post said you can't rollback the firmware, but I took a gamble this evening and grabbed the older 7.5.0 (32118) build from 2018. Popped the .ufi file on an exFat 32gig USB drive, and I flashed it via the Bios > Onboard devices > maxView Storage Manager > Administration > Update Firmware menu. Thankfully it completed (and verified) successfully! So looks like you can rollback to previous versions (at least using this method).

I have no idea where that mystery 32136 build came from from but it clearly has some issues because now those boot errors have completely gone, and the system boots just fine. It's still early days, and I haven't seen any slow downs, or had anymore disk errors (yet), but for anyone else with issues I can confirm you can at least rollback to 32118 without bricking anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I have gotten lots of adaptec 71605 cards from ebay with 7.6 32136 FW in them.

I think the 7.6 firmware is for NetApp Only .

Using MSM or the Adaptec BootableUSB I updated them to 7.5 32118

If it is in cache preserve mode I use the above BootableUSB or I put the slot in EFI Mode in the computer BIOS

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/speed/raid/storage_manager/adaptec_bootusb_v3_07_23980_zip.php

ARCCONF PRESERVECACHE 1 CLEAR LOGICALDRIVE ALL

ARCCONF PRESERVECACHE 1 DISABLE

Then I use the MSM to put the FW back to 7.5

• 2 weeks later...