We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Backing up unraid user shares to USB HDs [solved]

Hi i'm a new user unfamiliar to Linux, I have spent the last couple of days searching the forums for a possible answer, but most seem to deal with cloud solutions or multiple unraid boxes where as mine should be more simple hopefully, but it isn't totally clear to me so please bear with me.  :)

I currently have 3 data 1.5TB HDs

1. movie,

2. entertainment (music, photos, SD TV)

3. HD TV

attached to my main windows PC. These are individually backed up to 3 USB 2TB HDs (i.e. 1:1 backup) stored at another house (I bring them over whenever I want to back up). The backups are done incrementally using microsoft synctoy (set to echo) every month or so, with it only transferring changed or new files. I want to switch to unraid both for 1 drive redundancy and also for the drive pooling feature, i.e. my movies drive is near capacity, while entertainment is half empty and unlikely to be filled. It also means my main PC does not have to be on 24/7 for other users to access files on network.

Once I have set up my unraid, I want to use user shares instead of individual HDs for the folders/distinctions highlighted in 1-3. However what I'm finding difficult working out is if it is possible to backup user shares incrementally to external USB drives i.e. only changed or new files (obviously the external drive would have to have enough space). Speed isn't important, and would prefer to actually attach USB drives when required to my main PC and not the unraid box, and read the files over the network. The ideal scenario would be to continue using synctoy or another windows GUI based sync software, that can be run only when desired. I really don't want to be installing anything additional to the server itself, being total novice at using Linux.

I suppose what I'm getting at is if the sync software sees each user share as its own virtual HD and does not care where the data actually resides on the server and is robust enough to deal with a USB HD that is not constantly attached to the server or network.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3918.0 I did find this post that referred to synctoy but it was from the perspective of copying onto the server. I note that there does appear to be issues with split levels not being respected when copying onto the unraid user share.

Thanks, i'm sure this might seem like a dumb question to advanced users. ;)

The User shares simply show as a network share on the server, ie \\tower\movie or \\tower\hdtv

You can also map the usershares as drive letters in windows (this is what i do)

i have never used Synctoy before, but if it can access these shares either over the network or via a mapped drive letter then i don't think it will be an issue.

If you already have the computer you are thinking of using for this download unraid and use the free version and have a play, thats probably the best way for you to work out if it suits your needs.

The problem with backing up user shares to a USB hard drive is that eventually the usershare will be larger then a single hard drive.

If your movies share grows larger then a hard drive, how do you backup a multiple drive share to a single drive?

In one way you could keep track of new files with

find /usersharename -newer /usersharename.flag > filelist

Which will give you a list of files newer then the the flag file.

Then touch the flag file for the next time around.

That becomes something you need to program with.

If you had a second unraid server, then you could do a network unraid rsync to unraid rsync of a disk share or a user share.

Which would synchronize the two disks/shares.

There was someone who had a similiar idea, only he wanted to use a temporary usbkey to sync a remote unraid server.

See here : http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15309.0

it has some examples of using rsync and find with the -newer option, maybe that will give you ideas.

Archived