Disk# vs. Drive bay locaton (Not solved but OK with it)

I have just noticed I have a drive # listed in incorrect sequence in regards to the correct bay.

For example Parity:bay 1, Dsk1:bay 2, Dsk2:bay 3, Dsk4:bay 5 , etc.

The problem I have is dsk3 (serial number) and dsk4 (serial number) are reported in incorrect bays respectfully. Can I reassign the dsk# with correct serial # and select the start up array which reads "Start will just record the new disk positions and bring the array on-line" ? Currently the two are red dots if I make this reassignment.

Thanks in advance

Which version of unRAID are you running?

Linux and PC BIOS makes no promise as to which device number (/dev/hd# or /dev/sd#) drives will be discovered as. In unRAID 5.x they can change between reboots. For warm-swap (hot swap AHCI) support this is especially true. This is the reason unRAID 5.x switched over to identifying drives by their unique serial ids instead of which device and port they're attached to.

Hi,

Are we talking about the same thing?

I have read where guys were talking about SD# assignments but is this the same as what is reported as the Disk # in the myMenu plugin.

The disk# is always sequential but the device SD# seems to change. I am referring to that disk # and the actual serial # assigned in the unRaid main device assignment.

If I assign Serial #AB to disk #3, I would expect AB to always assigned as Disk #3. In reality I want Disk # 3 to be Serial # ABC and AB to be Disk assigned #4. Thus switch them.

Do I need to place a piece of tape on every bay with the serial # on it. That would really suck! And really shoddy to say the least.

If it makes you feel better, check the "I'm sure" box and start the array.

It will have no effect otherwise.

Oh yes, I do label my disks with their serial numbers.  No matter what, I can identify them...  They are not mounted in any specific order.

Joe L.

zogu2w.jpg

Archived