Sanity check - Home NAS/media server

westingham

What is your budget? Around $1500 CAD

How many drives do you want your server to be able to support and how much capacity do you need? Starting with 8 TB of capacity and expanding as needed. Also thinking about an NVR drive down the road.

Is expandability important to you?  If so, what's your long term goal? Yes, I'd like to be able to expand in the future, but I don't really have a "goal" in mind. Add more storage when needed.

Are you interested in running additional apps?  If so, which ones?  Be specific. Jellyfin. A few different *arr instances. Pi-hole. Some form of NVR app in the future. Maybe a Minecraft server. Probably some Docker containers/VMs.

What do you plan to run for hard drives? Current plan is Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives.

Do you have any spare parts laying around that you would like to apply towards your build?  This includes drives. Nope.

If you already have parts in mind, please oh pretty please post links to them so that we don't have to look them up. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/v64Crv

As sort of stated above, this will be a home NAS/media server. Jellyfin for media, most likely no transcoding (don't currently do any) but I do want to keep my options open to do H264 to H265/AV1 conversion later on. A few different *arr instances. Pi-hole. At some point I want to setup some security cameras and run an NVR app, likely get a Seagate Skyhawk drive for that. SSD would be for downloading as well as storage for the VMs/possible Minecraft server.

Questions:

- Current plan is two 8 TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives, one for storage and one for parity. Is it worthwhile to shell out the extra bucks for Ironwolf NAS Pro?

- I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to move from I5 12400 to I5 12600 to get those E-cores which could handle Docker containers and whatnot. I'd love to hear any feedback in that regard.

Any other feedback is welcome. Maybe I've made some glaring mistakes with my choices.

On 12/7/2023 at 11:18 PM, westingham said:

- Current plan is two 8 TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives, one for storage and one for parity. Is it worthwhile to shell out the extra bucks for Ironwolf NAS Pro?

- I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to move from I5 12400 to I5 12600 to get those E-cores which could handle Docker containers and whatnot. I'd love to hear any feedback in that regard.

The Ironwolf has a worse workload rate limit (180 TB/year vs 300 TB/year) and shorter warranty (3 years vs 5 years)

Those processors have no efficiency cores.

The 12600 has a more powerful iGPU (only useful for multiple 4K transcoding streams).

1 hour ago, Lolight said:

The Ironwolf has a worse workload rate limit (180 TB/year vs 300 TB/year) and shorter warranty (3 years vs 5 years)

Those processors have no efficiency cores.

The 12600 has a more powerful iGPU (only useful for multiple 4K transcoding streams).

Sorry, I meant the 12600K which does have efficiency cores.