We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

preclear on other computer

Hi

Can you preclear drives on a totally different PC then your server and still use that precleared drive in the server ?

For example I've a laptop with 1 eSATA port and I can preclear a drive that way (already tested). I've used another USB stick with the free version of Unraid. I did't use the USB stick in my server. It seems that the server doesn't known that the drive is precleared or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

[You should be able to get it done on another pc. I've pre cleared drives on another PC and then plugged them into my server.]

I did that for the last few as I was having issues watching a movie on the server whilst pre clearing at the same time.

Regarding your experience of read underperformance on a data drive while doing intensive low-level I/O (the preclear) on an out-of-array drive: it might sound reasonable to you, but not to me. I do agree that it's not a big deal to relocate (or reschedule) an infrequent "maintenance operation".

However, this could be "a sign" that something is either misconfigured, used inefficiently, or has some other "room for improvement".

Do you recall what type of SATA port your preclear drive was on? And, what types of ports are your data drives on? (I don't expect you to know which drive that particular movie was on:))

What you describe makes sense if there is head contention, but that's not the case here.

-- UhClem "I think we're all bozos on this bus."

Regarding your experience of read underperformance on a data drive while doing intensive low-level I/O (the preclear) on an out-of-array drive: it might sound reasonable to you, but not to me. I do agree that it's not a big deal to relocate (or reschedule) an infrequent "maintenance operation".

However, this could be "a sign" that something is either misconfigured, used inefficiently, or has some other "room for improvement".

Do you recall what type of SATA port your preclear drive was on? And, what types of ports are your data drives on? (I don't expect you to know which drive that particular movie was on:))

What you describe makes sense if there is head contention, but that's not the case here.

-- UhClem "I think we're all bozos on this bus."

This was the issue I was getting:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10986.0

I'm suspecting it was a memory issue as running a preclear on the server the cache dirs doens't seem to work and when browsing the server all drives spin up.

Sorry for the Hi Jack but back to the original topic:

It seems that the server doesn't known that the drive is precleared or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

How do you know that it isn't pre cleared?

Josh

It just don't work like it should. I've precleared another drive on a different PC.

Here is the report.

========================================================================1.13
== invoked as: ./preclear_disk.sh -A /dev/sdc
==  WDC WD10EACS-00D6B0    WD-WCAU43283719
== Disk /dev/sdc has been successfully precleared
== with a starting sector of 64 
== Ran 1 cycle
==
== Using :Read block size = 8225280 Bytes
== Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 3:46:17 (73 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Zeroing time   : 4:03:57 (68 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 7:34:21 (36 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Total Time     : 15:25:34
==
== Total Elapsed Time 15:25:34
==
== Disk Start Temperature: 23C
==
== Current Disk Temperature: 38C, 
==
============================================================================
** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sdc  /tmp/smart_finish_sdc
               ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
     Temperature_Celsius =   112     127            0        ok          38
No SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW

0 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.
0 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.
0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.
0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,
   the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.
0 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.
0 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,
   the number of sectors re-allocated did not change. 
============================================================================

I stopped the array and did a clean Power Down. Then I placed and connected the drive in the server and started the server.

I get following screenshot. The added disk has a blue dot.

new%252520drive.JPG

But when I start the array it starts a clearing process and the server is unavailable.  :(???  I am not gonna wait for so many hours again. I've waited already 15hours for preclearing.

See screenshot with clearing running at the bottom of screen.  ??? ??? ???

new%252520drive%252520start%252520array.JPG

Ediit: I included the wrong report. I corrected it.

It sure looks like it is a bug...  and probably with the beta version of unRAID.  I know an earlier beta would not recognize a pre-cleared disk.  I  thought it had been corrected, but looking at the release notes just now, I can't find where it says it was.

Joe L.

Archived