LinuxMCE

Guest Sparkie

Guest Sparkie

I've been working my way up to building it. I am waiting for the 710 Beta to be finished and then I'll make the plunge. I want them to finalize it so I can buy the proper hardware. So now in my closet I'll have an unraid server and a Core linuxmce server. I'm negotiating closet space with my girlfriend. She just doesn't understand why I need 2 PC's running in the closet.  ::)

tell her that her blow-drier sucks up as much energy in 20 minutes as your servers in a day...which of course is not entirely true, but maybe it'll make her think...on second thought, i know very few women that truly appreciate a man's quest to build the ultimate home-entertainment system...or the ultimate car, for that matter...we've come a long way when most of our equipment is actually stashed away in the closet, when it used to be all about the wires and components in the living room.

since the women i hang with tend to not question my technology madness, i'm usually not totally up on the current state of affairs on the home front in regard to what's offensive, and what is not...i imagine the closet you have your servers in is also used by her for clothes/shoes/bags? any other un-used spaces in your diggs? maybe it's time to pry open some floor-boards and hide them under the kitchen floor? oh brother...

anyway, when is the 710 Beta supposed to touch down? i'm quite impressed with all i've read and viewed...the actual aesthetic of the interface leaves a little to be desired, but its functionality is brilliant, which is what matters most, of course.

keep us in the loop of what's happening on that front.

Guest Sparkie

Haha Funny comments! My girlfriend tripped the breaker using her blow dryer last week! My server doesn't do that. The server was in the bedroom before last night.(Bad location) I've relocated it to the storage room. It took me 4 hours to fish new wires to the new locations and set it all up. Lots of work. I am an  electrician and I have many tools as well.

My girlfriend tried to compare the amount of tools I have with her shoes. I told her "My tools make me money, I've paid them off a long time ago" and that "having the perfect shoe for every outfit looks nice, but you could just wrap $100 bills around your feet and you'd get more looks." Domestic disputes!

But onto the important stuff..

LinuxMCE Beta 4 is coming out soon. They have been making some good progress adding functionality. The amount of options is amazing. It has its own built in software RAID but if UnRAID were supported it would be the ultimate.

funny indeed...sounds like you two have the necessary humor amongst each other to make it work...keep it up!

i went out yesterday, and for under $550 total got myself an Antec Fusion case, eVGA GeForce 7150 board, E4500 proc, 2GB RAM, a 20x DVD/RW, supplied my own drive, put it all together and tried to install the latest LinuxMCE DVD, but no go...it immediately complains about some tty, unaccessible/missing stuff (don't have it in front of me right now).

i'm really psyched to try LinuxMCE and have read a lot of info on the problems/issues they are having with the 7150/630i chipset, and the potential work-arounds...but my Linux knowledge is so non-existent, that the faintest error can put me into hours of head-scratching.

in the meantime i installed Windows XP SP2 and MediaPortal, which i have enjoyed until deep into the night...still, i've spent the past 3 years switching myself (and most of my family/friends/colleagues) over to OSX, and would prefer keeping the presence of Microsoft computers to a minimum in my studio...the combo unRAID/LinuxMCE (or even MythTV) would be my ideal choice if the glitches could be worked out.

the GeForce 7150/630i is a pretty amazing board for $85...DVI, VGA *and* HDMI, Optical *and* SPIDIF, 4 SATA and 1PATA on the mobo, the nVidia 7150 GPU on the mobo, 1Gb LAN on the mobo...pretty much everything one needs in a mATX form-factor...i'd really like to see this working with LinuxMCE.

well, again, keep us posted with everything/anything you can find out...i'm ready to re-install with Linux the minute it works.

Guest Sparkie

If you do a forum search (linuxmce forums) you'll find guys listing cards that work. most of the cards that are supported without hitches are the 6000 series of nvidia cards. You can get a relatively cheap 6000 series card and slap it in that machine until they support your onboard Video. But I think with some research on their forums and some questions to some of the guys, you'll get the video card working. Linuxmce is really picky on how it's setup. You basically need to have a "Core" and a Media Director PC for things to function as intended. If you ask for help on their forums, some guys will help get you up and running. there is lots of research to be done, but there always is if you want cutting edge things  ;) You could also wait and try the Beta 4 of linuxmce coming out in the near future. It will probably better support your motherboards video.

BTW. The system  you bought looks like the perfect candidate for LinuxMCE.

yup, i already did hours of reading in those forums/threads...very helpful people, gauging by what i've seen them post for eachother...kinda like this place ;)

i'm aware of the fact that i could wing it with a 600-series card, and also that they are very close with the 7050/7150...so i think i'm just going to hold out a little and wait until the support is built in...just from using MediaPortal the past 2 days i realize how much "pruning" there is to do to my movie data...between some of the naming conventions of the DivX files, some of the directory structures i have, and the DVD/ISO files, there are lots of things to do "get ready"...then there is choosing a decent remote, maybe integrating an Elgato HDhomeRun (or whatever that dual ATSC-tuner with LAN-port is called), etc.

and it might not seem that way, but i actually have to get my payed/client projects done at the same time.

at this pace, i think LinuxMCE 710 final (or beta4) will be ready for me when i am ready for it.

fun stuff!

well i'll be damn...me and my big mouth...thx for the pointer bro!

also, if a moderator wants to move this thread into the lounge, that'd be appropriate i think...it's developed into a full-on non-unRAID (un-unRAID?) topic.

the 710 beta4 torrent is downloading as we speak...hope to find time tonight or tomorrow to slap another disk in that 'puter and give it another try.

Guest Sparkie

Another feature of LinuxMCE (I'm waiting to try) is the diskless operation. Basically if you have the Core server setup, you can boot any of the media players in the house from the core server. I believe the core server wakes up the media director and boots the interface over the network. Everything runs in RAM on the media director. I have not seen the feature in action though.

Curious, what is it about LinuxMCE that's most attractive to folks? I looked at it awhile back and saw some of the issues ongoing and backed away. I'm mostly looking for a media front-end and less of the PVR sort of thing. That software tries to do so much, including wanting to be a core router\server for the network as I recall that it sort of scared me off. I've gone a different direction with XBMC on Linux and might try Myth with it down the road when that is more ironed out. This software is also still under heavy development too but it sure is easy to setup I hope as you guys try out LinuxMCE you can keep us posted here about it, I think many of us are looking for good HTPC solutions 8)

Guest Sparkie

LinuxMCE is a media center but it starts moving into complete home automation. You can control lights,Heating/Cooling,Power plugs,Security cameras, so on and so on...

while i'd just be happy if my Media Center PC did that one thing well ;)

no seriously, i have all the respect for LinuxMCE and know that i will have one in my future, but for now all i want is to have my DivX, TS, DVD ISO/VOB's, MP3's and AAC's cleanly indexed, covers and all, simply accessible via remote, and looking/functioning well...VistaMCE does a pretty commendable job at this...heck, just the MyNetflix plugin alone would have convinced me to buy a machine to use it.

it's all coming together...thank you unRAID for helping me make peace with my data again!

and Sparkie, i really do continue to be enthralled and interested by LinuxMCE...great project.