We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

No Preclear?

I have just setup my second unraid server. Bought brand new 2tb western digital green drives. I have just realised now after moving all my data across that the drives formatted extremely quickly. 1 Minute maybe. I dont think it precleared the drives as this took many hours on my first server. The array came online after that with no problems. Parity is valid. Am I safe? Hope I dont have to move everything off!

All the drives are brand new and have never had data on them before.

Preclear or clearing only is only performed when adding a drive to an existing array. If the drive is all zeros the parity does not change. Since you calculated parity after the drives were in the array, the drive did not need to be zeroed. Your only risk at this point is simultaneous infant mortality. I'd watch things closely.

Preclear or clearing only is only performed when adding a drive to an existing array. If the drive is all zeros the parity does not change. Since you calculated parity after the drives were in the array, the drive did not need to be zeroed. Your only risk at this point is simultaneous infant mortality. I'd watch things closely.

correct... at the very least, perform a non-correcting parity check to verify all the disks can be read now that parity is initially calculated.

Thanks! How do I run a non-correcting parity check? Also what should I do to check the drives are running without problems? If one of the drives die will unraid report this on the main page and stop the array?

Remove the tick from the option "Correct any Parity-Check errors by writing the Parity disk with corrected parity. "

Then run the parity check.

If a drive fails a write then it will be automatically removed the array and a red dot placed next to it.

The array won't stop, as that is the point of unraid - you can access the data of the entire array even if one drive is removed.

However you need to fix things as if a second drive dies you will lose data...

Archived