Drive has an error and I'm not sure whats happening.

Aloyloy
Go to solution Solved by Aloyloy,

Issue started about two weeks ago. I've had it offline until I had time to deal with it. The drive in question is passing smart just fine.

I'm not going to lie. I changed some hardware about the time this happened. But when it first happened it was THREE drives MISSING. After a reboot it was just this one with an error.

List of changes I made: I changed the m.2 I was using for cache to a better one.
I added a 2.5gbe network card.

But when this happened I immediately reverted those changes but it didn't help the problem.
I changed the controller card to see if it was that (I Had one laying around, long story) but it wasn't.
Changed the drive cables.

Moved the drive in question from the controller card back to the motherboards onboard SATA controller but no change.

The Drive passes a smart test fine.

But despite it passing SMART, this is probably a drive dying isn't it?
Be honest.

image.png.c0f46af7dca2ada71aee84890c76e764.png

7 hours ago, Aloyloy said:

But despite it passing SMART, this is probably a drive dying isn't it?

Not necessarily - there can be lots of reasons a drive is disabled other than the drive itself being faulty - with the most common being power or sata cabling related.

When you say the drive passed SMART - was this the extended SMART test which is normally a good test of the drive?

You should post your system's diagnostics zip file in your next post in this thread to get more informed feedback.  It is always a good idea to post this if your question might involve us seeing how you have things set up or to look at recent logs.

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The diagnostics seem to show that parity, disk2 and disk3 are all offline and there is no SMART information for any of them.    Is there anything these drives share?

at the very least you should carefully check the power and SATA cabling to the drive.  Could you have a PSU issue?

I think that those were originally connected to the controller on the motherboard, back when this started. I've since moved them to the controller card. So now all drives are on the one SAS card.

The new card is a LSI 9207-8i that I got from Art of Server.

Edited by Aloyloy