Is this Do-able

NRF19

Here's another method that would be more expensive but potentially easier to set up:

Run a client box at your home (Windows, Linux, Mac - whatever you prefer) that runs 24/7 (disable all sleep functions).  Map your unRAID server to it.  Create a VPN (or use a remote management tool, such as TeamViewer).  You should now be able to access everything on the server from afar, read and write.

This isn't as elegant of a solution as it requires another box to be running 24/7.  However, if you used something low power such as an Atom-based Zbox then the extra electricity cost wouldn't be too bad.

If you are technically capable, it's doable to have virtualbox running on your unraid box with whatever operating system you want as a virtual guest. Then you can run a remote viewing client of your choice on the guest, allowing full access. I have Pardus 2011, Slackware 13.37, Ubuntu 10.04, Windows 7, and Windows XP guest OS's all running as virtualbox guests. I run the XP full time with a logmein free account, and can run another virtual client simultaneously.

I would not allow direct access to an unraid box from the internet.

It is not a secure platform.

there are a few ways to do this.

1 is setting up a VPN at home and VPN in from uni.

2 is a 2 box method like Raj suggested.

I use both methods.. I tend to use #2 the most.

I have a WHS2011 server that i use for a secure log on portal. I then have my unraid visible as a share on my whs2011.

I can also remote desktop into any of my home pc's though the whs.

to save on power, i have my whs2011 and my main unraid on the same ESX box.

Archived