Disks, Arrays and setup...

Toibs
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have unraid running hapilly on a Dell RX730xd server, currently hiding in my Garage. Slowly trying to learn about unraid, since have had Zero experience in the past.

Was chatting to my Lad over the weekend who also has an unraid box running plex to his home network.

image.thumb.png.4fe8077cf6ae1484f55a2fde60608790.png

Question is - My array is setup as a ZFS2 array. However i also have the stand alone "disk 1" at the top which it seems every time I try to remove the whole thing comes to a standstill. My lad, on the other hand is running XFS, but doesnt have the stand alone disk.

Is this something that is needed? Or just down to poor/bad configuration on my side when i set this up initially?

Many thanks

Paul

• Solution
23 minutes ago, Toibs said:

My lad, on the other hand is running XFS, but doesnt have the stand alone disk.

He must have at least one disk in the main array as this is a requirement with the current Unraid release (although this is expected to be removed in a future release).  Perhaps he simply has the main array with XFS format disks (which is the default).  In your case it could be something like a small flash drive if you do not want to store anything on it.

Thank you @itimpi - Appreciated!

Yes you are probably correct - i believe he just has the main array with a few xfs discs in there.

Question - does that need to be a stand alone disk, or could it be a disk configured as a cache drive?? (Just thinking of ways that i may be able to utilise that disk!)

Failing that, I'll just leave "as is" and use as ad-hoc storage when needed :)

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, Toibs said:

Question - does that need to be a stand alone disk, or could it be a disk configured as a cache drive?? (Just thinking of ways that i may be able to utilise that disk!)

The disk cannot be used as a cache drive.   That was one reason for mentioning a small flash drive that does not actually store anything to satisfy the requirement.    You may prefer to use your 1TB drive in a pool, especially as drives in the main array cannot be trimmed.

• Like 1