Supermicro 847 case (cooling idea)

cbr600ds2

Hello - 

I just wanted to run this by someone - I obviously already have the fans changed in the interior to 3 120s and while they cool ok I feel like they don't quite cool enough during parity rebuilds and stuff like that.  

I'm thinking of taking a new top and cutting a hole above the MB and installing a fan to help draw air out of the case.  Do you think that would help or not really.   I would also create another fan wall outside of the case pushing air through the front HD's into the case.   Thoughts?  

1 hour ago, Michael_P said:

I 3D printed one for the front of my Norco 4224 and it keeps the drives reasonably cool

Hahhaha want to 3d print one for me?  I'll pay you - I don't have a 3d printer

you think the front wall would suffice?  the 4224 is 24 drives all in the front, right? I have some drives on the rear as well is my thought of the one on the top of the case. 

48 minutes ago, cbr600ds2 said:

I'll pay you - I don't have a 3d printer

It's actually the reason I bought it, it was cheaper to buy the printer and do it myself than to pay someone else 

Rack mount chassis are meant to have push-pull cooling, if you cut a hole in the top you might actually make it worse. Me, I'd make another 'pull' fan panel for the rear if I didn't want the fan noise of the stock internal fans

5 hours ago, Michael_P said:

Rack mount chassis are meant to have push-pull cooling, if you cut a hole in the top you might actually make it worse. Me, I'd make another 'pull' fan panel for the rear if I didn't want the fan noise of the stock internal fans

Yeah that's a thought in the back of my head too so we'll see.