Inconsistent SMB Speeds from Synology

Go to solution Solved by dlandon,

I'm trying to migrate data from a Synology 416play through a mapped SMB share from Unraid on the Synology. The file transfer starts out great and I'm able to hit more than a gigabit out but shortly after speeds tank and start bouncing around between 50mbit/sec to 200mbit/sec, and this is regardless of the size of files being transferred. As an aside I've also had issues with really slow SMB share speeds to a mac, but from a few searches I see that might be an issue I haven't even begun to dive into that yet.

I know I'm asking a lot, but is there something simple I'm overlooking? Everything is up to date, everything is connected through a 2.5gbps switch with 5gbit bonded on Unraid and 2gbit bonded on the Synology, and Synology shares to my Mac are nice and fast so I don't think the issue is there. Thanks so much!

Posted (edited)

I am, but I have a cache pool setup - I think this would help? Also, when I was previously dealing with slow transfer speeds on the Mac I disabled parity and had no noticeable difference. As an aside, I've mounted the Synology SMB share on Unraid and am still having inconsistent though faster transfer speeds.

Thanks for your attention, this is all pretty new to me and while exciting it's definitely a lot.

Edited by j0hn
  • Solution

I see several things:

Jan  2 13:17:45 luna shfs: share cache full
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 117 TIMES] ###

/dev/nvme0n1p1        932G  866G   66G  93% /mnt/cache

Your cache is very full.

You have mounted several Synology shares on Unraid and they are not shared:

Jan  2 13:17:44 luna unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '//SLACKBOX/downloads' on '/mnt/remotes/SLACKBOX_downloads'.
Jan  2 13:17:44 luna unassigned.devices: Device '//SLACKBOX/downloads' is not set to be shared.

Jan  2 13:17:45 luna unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '//SLACKBOX/plex' on '/mnt/remotes/SLACKBOX_plex'.
Jan  2 13:17:45 luna unassigned.devices: Device '//SLACKBOX/plex' is not set to be shared.

This means the UD mounted remote shares are not shared with SMB.  How are you doing SMB copies?  Are you using the file manager or MC on Unraid to copy files from the local mount point?

Some suggestions:

• Move files off your cache drive to be sure copies are going to the cache nvme and not directly to the array.  Use the mover to do this.
  • Install a plugin called cache_dirs and set it up to cache only specific shares.  Set the shares as included.  Don't include the nvme cache.  The plugin doesn't help an nvme or other SSD disks.
  • Install a plugin called Tips nd Tweks and set up the disk cache.  The defaults are a good place to start.  The symptoms you are describing seem to be classic disk buffering issues.  Transfers are very fast until the ram buffers fill up, then things slow down while the disk data is written.
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

I have two 1TB SSDs in the cache pool - will I only ever have access to the 1TB and not 2TB? I'll use the mover to free up some space.

At the moment the diagnostics were taken I was using a file manager on Unraid (Dynamix File Manager) to copy over files from the Synology share.

Tips and tweaks installed, your mention of the ram buffers is not related to my NAS ram? It never seems to be more than a quarter utilized. For cache_dirs, what shares would I want cached versus not? Shares I'm accessing regularly?

On another note, FTP transfers have doubled in speed - would anything we've done thus far had an impact on that?

Thanks so much!

Edited by j0hn
additional question