Pool File System Type: XFS not available as option?

Why is the XFS "File System type" no longer available for pools?

I created a pool a while ago with a drive using XFS.  I went to bring down the array to add a new drive to the pool.

Originally there was only 1 drive in the pool (because I planned to add additional drives later).  It uses the XFS file system.

Today...

1. I went to add the new unassigned drive with an XFS partition to the existing pool.  Both drives are XFS in the same pool.
  2. It was unassigned, and I had it formatted using XFS file system.
  3. I added the new drive to the pool torrent_pool_a.
  4. I started the array.
  5. I got the message the drives couldn't be mounted to the pool, and BOTH drives needed to be reformatted.
  6. Definitely didn't want to format both drives, because the first/original drive has data on it that I want to keep (still XFS format).
  7. I then went to check the options for the pool, and under "File system type", XFS is no longer an option.
  8. I cannot even bring the original pool "torrent_pool_a" back online, because XFS is no longer an option for the pool, and I get asked to format the drive.
  9. So without the XFS option, I am really stuck, and can't use my pools which use XFS partitions.
  10. Maybe I was unlucky, and XFS was only an option for a single drive pool.  And when 2 or more drives are added, XFS cannot be used.  If this is true, I don't think this is a good idea, and XFS shouldn't have ever been allowed for pools to prevent this dead end.

image.png.ad6634db3403e79c59f5cab1c7e46622.png

tower-diagnostics-20240106-1226.zip

Xfs does not support multi-drive pools.   Multi-drive pools must currently use btrfs or ZFS.   The only way it might in the future be possible to have multiple xfs drives in a pool is when the current Unraid array becomes just another pool type.

Just now, Jaybau said:

I wish when I created the pool Unraid didn't allow a single drive pool with XFS.

Because now I'm in a bind (and others might end up here too).

You just need to copy the current contents elsewhere, create the multi-drive pool in the format you want, and then copy the data back.   You can do it using mover if you want as described here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.   Alternatively the Dynamix File Manager plugin is a good alternative.

Thank you for the instructions.

Fortunately I just added additional storage so I can get out of the bind.  But if someone doesn't have the extra storage, this could be a problem.

Feedback: This would be a bind that can be avoided by not allowing XFS for pools, including single drive pool (use Unassigned drive instead). 

Thank you!