[SOLVED] Another Flash GUID question

Hey guys,

When I first build my server 11 months ago, I used a USB stick which later was blacklisted because it was not a unique number.

So my key workes on that stick. Tom sent me an email in which he said I can use this stick for this version of unRAID, but when I want to upgrade to a newer version, I need to buy a new USB device with a unique number, and send him an email for the GUID.

That time has come, now I need to upgrade so I bought a good USB drive (Sandisk Cruzer).

I searched the forum for the correct way to go, but couldn't find the right answer.

What is the right way to go? Copy all files from my old USB drive to the new one and then let it boot unRAID, which means basic functionality? Then get the GUID and mail to Tom?

Or is this NOT the way to go since my server is spinning 8 datadrives now, and gets confused with only basic functionality?

Please help..

Here's what I would do:

1) Make a backup of your entire flash drive.  Technically all you need is the config folder, but no harm in getting it all.

2) Prepare your new Sandisk Cruzer with the version of unRAID you want to run (latest stable is 4.7).  Follow the instructions here.

3) Power down your server from the unRAID web interface.

4) Remove your old flash drive.  Boot from your newly configured flash drive (running unRAID Basic).  Do NOT copy over the config folder at this point.

5) Boot into unRAID basic and get your flash GUID from the 'devices' page.  Do NOT assign any drives.

6) Power down from the 'main' page.

7) Swap the flash drives again and boot from your old flash drive.  Continue using your server as normal.

8) At this point, you can email Tom with the new GUID.  Once he gives you a new unRAID key, load up your new flash drive with the config folder from the old drive (delete the old key) and the new key.

9) Power down your server, swap the flash drives, boot into the new flash drive (with config folder and new key file in place)

10) Done!

Hey guys,

When I first build my server 11 months ago, I used a USB stick which later was blacklisted because it was not a unique number.

So my key workes on that stick. Tom sent me an email in which he said I can use this stick for this version of unRAID, but when I want to upgrade to a newer version, I need to buy a new USB device with a unique number, and send him an email for the GUID.

That time has come, now I need to upgrade so I bought a good USB drive (Sandisk Cruzer).

I searched the forum for the correct way to go, but couldn't find the right answer.

What is the right way to go? Copy all files from my old USB drive to the new one and then let it boot unRAID, which means basic functionality? Then get the GUID and mail to Tom?

Or is this NOT the way to go since my server is spinning 8 datadrives now, and gets confused with only basic functionality?

Please help..

Set up a clean flash drive with none of the files from the old USB key.  Grab a screen picture of the current running system so you can assign the disks back to the correct spots.  Then boot the server using the new thumb drive but DO NOT assign any drives.

You should be able to grab the GUID now and send it to Lime-Tech.  If you want to continue to use your computer while you wait for the key to come for the new flash drive just boot back up using your old thumb drive.

Archived